The Fazal lab is a young laboratory focusing on systematically interrogating the subcellular transcriptomes of mammalian cells and characterizing the scope, regulation, and function of subcellular localization, particularly at the systems and organismal level. We use a variety of biochemical, biophysical, imaging, genomic and computational approaches to investigate the sequence-function relationship dictating RNA localization. https://www.bcm.edu/people-search/furqan-fazal-72901
Recent relevant publications from the principal investigator include:
Atlas of Subcellular RNA Localization Revealed by APEX-seq. Cell 2019
RNA Structure Maps Across Mammalian Cellular Compartments. NSMB 2019
RNA-GPS Predicts SARS-CoV-2 RNA Residency to Host Mitochondria and Nucleolus. Cell Systems 2020
Subcellular Spatial Transcriptomes: Emerging Frontier for Understanding Gene Regulation. CSHL Symposia of Quantitative Biology 2019
- Maintain lab equipment and supplies inventory.
- Help train junior staff in the group.
- Document results and prepare them for presentation.
- Participate in the validations of new tests and applications associated with RNA biology experiments.
- Plan, direct and conduct specialized and advanced research experiments.
- Summarize research findings and publish results in research journals.
- Prepare buffers and reagents for laboratory operations.
- Manage cryotanks and refrigerators.
- Prepare figures for publications, conferences and grants.
- Manage transfers and activities in collaboration with other labs.
- Perform research experiments such as molecular cloning, RNA/DNA extraction and tissue culture.
- Doctoral Degree. Experience may not be substituted in lieu of degree.
- Three years of post doctoral research experience.
- Molecular biology knowledge in DNA and RNA manipulations such as purification and quantification, PCR, qPCR and restriction enzyme digestion.
- Knowledge in software programs including R and/or python.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.