Staff Researcher - Fast methods for Food Analysis (Ref.11.19.40)
Type of contract: Limited duration
Research Centre: International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL
Number of vacancies: 1
Duty Station: Braga, Portugal
Career Stage: PhD degree
Closing date for applications: December 11th 2019, 23:00 Lisbon Time
The International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL (http://www.inl.int), was founded under an international legal framework to perform interdisciplinary research and to deploy and articulate nanotechnology for the benefit of society. INL aims to become the world-wide hub for nanotechnology addressing society’s grand challenges in Ageing & Wellbeing and Mobility & Urban Living and developing a Safe & Secure Society.
INL is seeking a highly-qualified, self-motivated Staff Researcher to work on fast analytical methods for food control.
Job Role & Key Responsibilities
The selected candidate is expected to participate on the development of fast methods of analysis for the detection and identification of foodborne pathogens from food and environmental samples. The work will involve:
- The design and evaluation of sample preparation methods towards the reduction and/or substitution of enrichment steps for foodborne pathogen detection;
- The development of sample preparation protocols for the separation of viable and non-viable microorganisms;
- The development of molecular biology based methods for foodborne pathogen detection and quantification, and the implementation of novel nano- and micro-technology in foodborne pathogen analysis;
- The development of molecular biology based methods for applications in food analysis;
- The candidate is expected to contribute with own ideas on the area of microorganisms detection;
- Deliver oral presentations at national and international conferences;
- Publish the work in high quality journals;
- Participate in the submission of project proposals.
Applicants should meet the following requirements:
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Biology, Analytical Chemistry, Food Science, Biochemistry or a related field;
- Background and hands-on practical experience with classical microbiology techniques;
- Experience with molecular biology techniques including PCR, qPCR and isothermal amplification techniques;
- Experience in the development and optimization of DNA amplification-based methods, i.e. PCR/ qPCR, LAMP, RPA, among others;
- Experience in sample preparation for microorganisms analysis;
- Experience with identification of DNA markers for microorganisms identification and other target analytes in food analysis;
- Experience in method validation (in house validation and participation inter-laboratory studies)
- Training and/or hands-on experience on high-throughput DNA/RNA sequencing
- Strong data analysis and communication skills;
- Experience in publishing at the international level in high impact factor journals in the field;
- Applicants with international mobility experience will be highly evaluated.
- Strong motivation to work both independently and as part of a team in an interdisciplinary environment, with the ability to pay close attention to detail and to meet deadlines;
- A good track record of disseminating research results.
- Experience in carrying out research in collaboration with industry is highly valued.
English is the working language of INL. Therefore, excellent communication skills in English are required.
The work plan will be developed at the INL under the scientific guidance of Dr. Marta Prado (Group leader of the FQ&S research group).The successful candidate will be integrated in the Food Safety and Quality Research Group.
Duration of the contract
The total duration of the employment contract shall be 48 months and may be renewed based on the performance of the individual and the duration of the project. The expected starting date is January 2020.
Candidates must enclose the following supporting documents in pdf format, failing which the application will not be considered:
(a) Cover letter in English;
(b) Curriculum Vitae in English;
© Academic certificates.
How to apply
The application is made online. Please click on the ‘Apply for this job’ button.
For the application to be valid, the candidate must complete all required sections of the online application form as well as submit all required documents.
The documents must be submitted through the online platform Jobvite, in the “additional files” section using the “add portfolio” icon that appears in the application form.
What we offer
- Social Security costs to be paid by INL;
- Work Accidents insurance costs to be paid by INL, to provide coverage for work accidents and invalidity benefits;
- Health insurance with excellent coverage;
- Tax Benefit: The personnel working at the International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory are exempt from national income taxes so the only deduction from their part of the salary will be 11 % for social security and 12% for an internal tax;
- A family allowance of 160€/month for staff members that are married or that are living under the status of “common-law couple” and/or have any dependent child;
- A child allowance of 200€/month for each dependent child;
- Free Nursery Service at INL campus (subject to availability);
- Support for Education fees of dependent children;
- Depending on the place of residence, INL covers 100% of travel expenses for all family members.
If your application is successful and you accept our offer of employment, you will receive the employment agreement and all other relevant documents. If you are relocating, you will be given assistance by the HR Office.
If Your Application is Not Successful
We highly value the interest shown from applicants wishing to become a part of the INL experience. It is important for us to maintain good communications with candidates. No matter the outcome of the application, we always send the applicant an answer.
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Principle
INL promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of any duties based on their ancestry, age, sex, sexual preference, marital status, family and economic conditions, instruction, origin or social conditions, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, origin territory, language, religion, political or ideological convictions and union membership.
Enquires should be made to: email@example.com.
The advertisement deadline may be extended at any time without previous notice in order to improve the suitability and effectiveness of the recruitment process.