Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
SR. SCIENTIST, CELL ENGINEERING & CHARACTERIZATION
Job # PRE000741
The Cell Line Development under Biologics Process R&D is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Senior Scientist to support biopharmaceutical commercial cell line development and the innovative therapeutic cell engineering projects. The successful candidate should have an in-depth understanding of immunology, stem cell biology, molecular biology, and TCR signaling with working experience in next-generation sequencing (NGS) data analysis and and integration of ‘omics’ data. Ideal candidate should have hand-on experience in primary cell culture, gene editing and functional testing of engineered mammalian cells, i.e. primary T and other hematopoietic cells, ES cells, iPSCs, as well as general suspension tissue culture experience such as using CHO cells, etc. Candidate should demonstrate and stay up to date on the knowledge of principles and theories related to new and emerging technologies. The selected candidate will be expected to work independently, including proactive planning, trouble shooting and successful execution of complex experimental protocols. The selected candidate will be developed to serve as a technical lead and functional area representative on project teams.
Education Minimum Requirement:
• PhD in Immunology, Virology, Genetics, Bioinformatics, or related Biological Sciences with at least 2 years of the experience in cell-based assay development.
Required Experience and Skills:
• A demonstrated foundational understanding of immunology and molecular biology.
• Experienced in primary cell isolation and culture.
• Experienced in multi-color flow cytometry and cell surface marker analysis.
• Expertise in immunological assays related to T cell signaling and cellular functions.
• Creative. Critical thinking. Strong troubleshooting skills.
• Strong attention to detail with the ability to multi-task and handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
• Experienced with virus production and viral-based gene transduction methods
• Experienced in iPSC generation and stem cell culture.
• Experienced in NGS, single cell sequencing, transcriptomics and current bioinformatics data analysis tools.
• Experienced in gene editing and gene delivery technologies.
• Experienced in microscopy techniques and assays such as confocal microscopes and high content imaging
• Expertise of database and statistical software (e.g. Excel, JMP)
• Excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize effectively to deliver results within reasonably established timelines.
Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be considered for this position, please visit our career site at merck.com/careers, search jobs, create a profile and submit your resume for requisition #PRE000741 to:
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
For more information about personal rights under
Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC Poster – http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
EEOC GINA Supplement – http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_gina_supplement.pdf
OFCCP EEO Supplement – https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf