About the team/job
EMBL is one of the world’s leading research institutions, and Europe’s flagship life sciences organisation. An intergovernmental organisation of 27 Member States, EMBL operates sites in France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom. We provide life sciences training and service programmes globally.
We’re expanding our external engagement, and have an opening for an experienced communications officer in our central Communications Department with a specific focus on writing speeches, presentations, features and news articles. You must be experienced in working directly with senior management, to tight deadlines and often autonomously.
Our primary audiences for this role are a variety of organisational stakeholders, including our Member State governments, and the general public. Through creating compelling texts, speeches, presentation and other written content, the postholder will contribute to informing and engaging audiences with EMBL’s goals and successes.
This role would suit an experienced communications officer with speech writing experience looking to gain experience or maintain exposure in an international organisation.
- Writing speeches and developing presentations for the Director General (and on occasion other senior staff)
- Identifying, sourcing, writing and editing features, news items and promotional material for various channels including online and print
- Interviewing internal and external scientists, technical and other staff, and alumni
- Quality assurance and control, including some sub-editing, of content produced by other team members to ensure consistency of style and tone
- A minimum of five years in a corporate communications role, in a relevant international, corporate or scientific environment
- Demonstrated expertise in writing speeches and presentations for senior management
- Excellent English oral and written skills
- A high level of attention to detail, ability to respond positively to critical feedback, and to give constructive feedback to other staff members
- Proven record of working, often autonomously, to tight deadlines, to an extremely high standard
- A bachelor or higher degree in communications, journalism or a relevant scientific discipline
- The ability to regularly travel to other EMBL sites
You might also have
- Experience working with scientists, or in a science environment, would be desirable but not essential
- Other European languages, particularly French, German, Italian or Spanish, would be an asset
Why join us
We’re a friendly, multinational and multi-site team communicating some of the world’s most fascinating and impactful science and technology, and with a passion to do more to inform, inspire and excite the world.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises from a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family.
What else you need to know
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.