JSC – Jülich Supercomputing Centre
Area of research:
Scientific / postdoctoral posts
The Jülich Supercomputing Centre (JSC), embedded in the lively research environment of the Forschungszentrum Jülich, is a national supercomputing centre in Germany. It is partnering with leading technology providers to co-design hardware architectures for future supercomputers.
You will be responsible for the port and optimization of simulation software on heterogeneous, modular supercomputers, in direct contact and collaboration with the code developers. Your work will include:
- Work in the analysis of simulation applications, in close collaboration with their developers
- Identification of optimization potential, with focus on architecture-specific optimisation strategies aiming at scaling and/or performance improvements
- Implementation of specific code-changes in existing applications, and also coordination of your work with the application developers, supporting them in performing software adaptations
- Benchmarking on production systems, hardware prototypes and analysis of results
- Installation of libraries
- Presentation/publication of results in collaboration meetings, workshops and conferences
Required knowledge and/or experience:
- Master degree in computer science, mathematics, physics or in a natural science. A PhD degree is of advantage.
- Great ability to work in a team of scientists with heterogeneous backgrounds, complemented with own initiative
- Experience in Software development, benchmarking and application optimisation
- Usage of Unix-based Operating System
- Programming experience in at least one the following: C, C++, Fortran, Python
- Parallel programming with MPI, OpenMP, or pthreads
- Strong communication and writing skills in English
- Flexibility and willingness to travel to project meetings within Europe
Desirable Knowledge and/or experience:
- Good command of German. Knowledge of French is appreciated.
- Use of software management tools as SVN and Git
- Experience in the support of application developers
- Good knowledge of computer architecture and understanding of its impact on application performance
- A diverse range of activities in an interdisciplinary, international research and support group and a friendly work environment
- Excellent infrastructure of one of the largest research centres in Europe, with the additional opportunity of spending some weeks working at the project partner CEA, which operates the largest computer centre in France.
- Further development of individual strengths through a wide range of training and qualification opportunities, including the possibility of expanding the work in the form of a PhD
- Flexible working hours and various opportunities to reconcile work and private life
- Limited for 2 years with possible longer-term prospects
- Full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hours
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD). Depending on the applicant`s qualifications and the precise nature of the tasks, salary grade 13 – 14 TVöD-Bund
Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.We also welcome applications from disabled persons.