Area of research:
IT – EDV
The PUNCH4NFDI consortium aims at a sustainable utilisation of research data and the establishment of a FAIR data management for particle physics, astroparticle physics, astronomy, and hadron&nuclear physics. In doing so, the consortium builds especially on unique expertise in “big data” management, in “open data” and in data transformations. The consortium, which is part of the German national research data infrastructure (Nationale Forschungsdateninfrastruktur, NFDI) represents more than 40 institutions – university institutes, Max Planck institutes, Helmholtz centres, as well as Leibniz institutes. For its purposes, the consortium receives funding from the DFG for an initial period of 5 years.The International Lattice Data Grid (ILDG) is operated since more than a decade to manage data from Lattice QCD simulations. As software developer, you will re-design and implement the metadata catalog of ILDG as a modern webservice to enable its use for other domains of scientific data and to integrate it into the infrastructure and services of ILDG and PUNCH4NFDI. Your work will be closely associated with the DESY IT group and can be located at either of the two DESY sites in Hamburg or Zeuthen (Berlin region).
- Design and implementation of the metadata catalog (MDC) for the Lattice Data Grid, including a REST API and modern authentication mechanisms (like OpenID Connect or SAML)
- Providing test and deployment functionality for the developed MDC service, including support for its configuration and operation within the distributed infrastructure of the PUNCH4NFDI system
- Contribution to the development of corresponding client software to utilize the PUNCH4NFDI meta data services
- Providing documentation and tutorials for project partners
- Contribution to working groups of NFDI and ILDG
- Master degree in computer science, physics, mathematics, engineering or related subject, or comparable qualification
- Excellent experience in programming, preferably in Java
- Experience in designing and implementing webservices
- Good knowledge in the Linux OS and system administration
- Basic understanding of modern authentication mechanisms, like Open ID Connect, SAML, or two-factor authentication
- Experience with distributed infrastructures and with managing scientific metadata is of advantage
Look forward to a unique working environment on our international research campus. We attach particular importance to appreciative cooperation and the well-being of our DESY employees. Gender equality is an important aspect for us. To support work life balance we offer flexible working hours, variable part-time and job-sharing. You will benefit from our family-friendly and collegial atmosphere, our established health management and occupational pension provision. As a public employer, we offer you a secure workplace and facilitate your individual career with our comprehensive training and development opportunities. Remuneration is according to the regulations of the TV-AVH.
This research center is part of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers. With more than 42,000 employees and an annual budget of over € 5 billion, the Helmholtz Association is Germany’s largest scientific organisation.