About the team/job
We are looking for an enthusiastic and talented Full Stack Developer to join the Open Targets Core team. Open Targets (OT) is a public-private partnership aiming to systematically identify and prioritise drug targets by integrating complex biological data in a pre-competitive environment. As an open source project, the Open Targets platform (www.targetvalidation.org) and Genetics Portal (http://genetics.opentargets.org) organize and present large amounts of biomedical data, in order to publicly facilitate the drug discovery decision-making process.
The postholder primary tasks will be to join the Open Targets Core Team on the active development of the 2 main sites and ensure a reliable interface with their respective back-ends. Both applications share a common infrastructure based on React web applications and GraphQL APIs. The postholder will join a fast-paced, startup-like environment, where the latest technologies in front-end development and data visualisation are exploited to influence decisions in the drug discovery area. We are looking for a highly motivated developer who will help us bring our user-facing services to the next level.
You will work in a small team and interact with UX and back-end teams. You should be able to demonstrate the ability to work well with colleagues and to collaborate with external partners. You must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and enjoy working in a stimulating, international culture as our team is made up of members from 13 different countries. An interest or experience in life sciences would be advantageous, but is not necessary. We encourage candidates with all levels of experience to apply including Web Developers and Full Stack Engineers.
The main responsibilities will include:
- Designing, developing and improving robust and testable web applications to facilitate target validation.
- Help in the design, documentation and implementation of the relevant API endpoints.
- Developing, integrating and maintaining reusable data visualisation components, including complex graph-based data and ontologies.
- Collaborate effectively in a multi-disciplinary team together with data scientists, back-end developers and UX experts. Proactivity and problem-solving mindset is highly encouraged.
- Investigation and selection of appropriate technologies to help drug discovery.
- Ensuring the open source nature of the Open Targets project
- Experience building React web applications (or similar libraries/frameworks such as Angular or Vue).
- Experience using responsive web design frameworks (Material-UI, SASS/LESS, Twitter Bootstrap, Foundation, etc.).
- Interest in data visualisation for the web (D3, Canvas, SVG).
- Version control
You might also have
- Experience in the development or maintenance of APIs. Familiarity with current OT technologies is a plus including: GraphQL, Spark, ElasticSearch, Google Cloud, Docker or ClickHouse.
- A solid understanding of web application development processes: from layout/user interface to deployment and testing.
- Understanding of web application security, scalability, performance and reliability.
- Familiarity in other languages such as Python, Scala, Java or R.
Why join us
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by over 27 member states and two associate member states. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation. For more information about pay and benefits click here
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
What else you need to know
To view a copy of the full job description please click here
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities and this will continue after Brexit. For more information please see our website.
Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
This position is limited to the project duration specified.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.