We are seeking a highly-motivated and Senior Staff Scientist in functional genomics to lead a new project investigating genetic interactions in human diseases including cancer.
The Garnett lab are world-leaders in the use of genetic and drug screens in molecularly annotated cancer cell models to identify bio-markers of anti-cancer therapy response and to identify new drug targets. We are seeking a Senior Staff Scientist to lead a multidisciplinary project focused on using experimental and computational approaches to study genetic interactions in human cells. This information will be used to understand genetic epistasis in human disease and to develop new cancer therapeutic strategies.
The successful candidate should have an exceptional understanding of human genetics, and molecular and cellular biology. The ideal candidate will have a background in cancer biology or therapeutics, with knowledge of high-throughput screening methodologies, technology development, and experience using gene-editing methods. The applicant should have a proven track record of innovation and productivity at the postdoctoral level, or equivalent experience in industry. Experience managing complex projects and line management skills are desirable. Applicants should be a team player, have excellent organisational skills, and strong verbal and written communications skills.
• Educated to PhD level in human genetics, cancer biology, or related field
• A diverse range of research experiences and technical skills in experimental molecular/cellular biology
• Experience analysing and/or interpreting large-scale genomics or functional genomics datasets.
• A proven track record of productivity and innovation in academia or industry
• Line management experience
• Ability to communicate ideas and results effectively
• Effective team player with strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to work independently and organise own workload.
• Fluent in written and spoken English
• Knowledge of cancer biology, cancer genetics, cancer therapeutics or drug discovery.
• Experience developing and using high-throughput screening technologies and platforms
• Experience using CRISPR based gene-editing approaches, or related genome engineering technologies
• A knowledge of statistics
Further details of the Garnett lab and informal inquires can be made directly to Mathew Garnett (email@example.com).
Closing Date: 26th March 2020
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leading genomics research centre. We undertake large-scale research that forms the foundations of knowledge in biology and medicine. Our findings are used to improve health and to understand life on Earth. Find out more at www.sanger.ac.uk or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Youtube and on our Blog.
Set across 130 acres, just outside of Cambridge, The Sanger Institute is located on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus. Home to some of the world’s foremost institutes and organisations in genomics and computational biology, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale, and creativity to solve some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Genome Wellcome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
• 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
• Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution (for more information, see our Pensions page)
• Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
• Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
• Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
• Life Assurance Cover and a Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract of 12 months or more)
• Enhanced maternity leave and parental leave
• Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
• Private Healthcare Scheme (after 6 months service)
• Eyecare and Dental payment plans
• Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Genome Wellcome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
• Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
• A car-share initiative
• Free parking
• A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
• A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
Find out more about our Genome Wellcome Campus.
We hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.