Senior Staff Scientist – Functional Genomics
Salary range: £41,159-£53,432pa (dependent on experience) plus excellent benefits
We are looking to appoint a computational staff scientist in functional genomics to join Emma Davenport’s group at the Wellcome Sanger Institute.
Our group integrates functional genomics with clinical data to understand why there can be substantial variation across cohorts of patients in both disease severity and response to treatment. Understanding this variation is necessary to improve patient stratification for precision medicine-based approaches to treat disease.You will lead the analysis of an exciting new project with the Bioresource in Adult Infectious Disease (BioAID). Through this collaboration with clinical partners, we are generating RNA-seq and genotyping data for 1,800 patients presenting to the emergency room with suspected infection, a proportion of which will go on to develop sepsis. The main aim is to integrate the genetic and gene expression data with clinical outcomes to understand the role of host genetics in the individual response to infection. You will have the ability to think creatively and you will be supported to develop your own research projects within the scope of the group’s interests.
• PhD in a relevant subject area (e.g. Bioinformatics, Biology, Genetics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics)
• Ability to communicate effectively with interdisciplinary team members and collaborators
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
• Demonstrable high level of communication skills both written and oral
• A passion for problem solving and creative thinking
• Excellent organisational skills
• Experience in the analysis of functional genomic datasets (e.g. genotyping or gene expression datasets)
• Proficiency in a scripting language (e.g. R, Python, Perl)
• Demonstrated ability to independently run data science projects
• Ability to develop novel statistical/computational methods
• Familiarity with machine learning methods
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leading genomics research centre. We undertake large-scale research that forms the foundations of knowledge in biology and medicine. We are open and collaborative; we share our data, results, tools and technologies across the world to advance science. Our findings are used to improve health and to understand life on Earth. Find out more at www.sanger.ac.uk or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Youtube and on our Blog
Set across 130 acres, just outside of Cambridge, The Sanger Institute is located on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus. Home to some of the world’s foremost institutes and organisations in genomics and computational biology, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale, and creativity to solve some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Genome Wellcome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
• 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
• Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution (for more information, see our Pensions page)
• Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
• Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
• Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children
• and Summer holiday club
• Life Assurance Cover and a Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract of 12 months or more)
• Enhanced maternity leave and parental leave
• Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
• Private Healthcare Scheme (after 6 months service)
• Eyecare and Dental payment plans
• Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Genome Wellcome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
• Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
• A car-share initiative
• Free parking
• A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
• A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
To find out more about our Genome Wellcome Campus, see here.
We hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.
Please include a CV and a cover letter describing your skills with your application.
Closing date: 01/09/2019
Interviews will be held between: 23/09/2019 and 27/09/2019