We are recruiting a Senior Software Developer to join a major international research project, funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, that aims to sequence the genomes of a large collection of Streptococcus pneumoniae samples to inform global disease prevention strategies. The role will involve developing bioinformatics workflows for the management and processing of large genomic datasets as well as web platforms for the visualisation and interactive analysis of the results.
About the Role:
The post will be within Pathogen Informatics, a software development and support team in the Parasites and Microbes department at the Wellcome Sanger Institute. The dynamic team embraces agile methods and promotes open source software development. Pathogen Informatics work in close collaboration with the Genomics of Pneumonia and Meningitis group, who lead the scientific part of the project. This team is engaged in many exciting research topics such as pathogen person-to-person transmission, global spread, acquisition of antimicrobial resistance, and changes in pathogen population in response to vaccine implementation.
We are looking for a talented and enthusiastic individual with a degree in a computer science discipline or equivalent working experience. You have several years of practical experience developing software in large or complex projects, are a confident user of UNIX systems, and feel at home both in the back-end and the front-end world. Working experience in bioinformatics is beneficial but not required. You are a keen communicator and enjoy finding your own solutions to technical challenges. And you are motivated to support science and make a difference in the fight on infectious diseases to improve global health.
• MSc in a Computer Science discipline or equivalent working experience
• Significant programming experience in at least two languages
• Evidence of successful delivery in large or complex software projects
• Advanced knowledge of UNIX/Linux
• Demonstrable experience of working with relational database systems
• Demonstrable experience of setting up websites
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Ability to manage the own workload effectively in a proactive manner
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Experience in supporting cluster- and cloud-based computing platforms
• Demonstrable experience of container deployment and orchestration technologies such as Docker, Singularity, or Kubernetes
• Experience with standard platforms for version control and continuous integration, such as GitHub or Travis
• Experience with scientific data processing workflows, such as Cromwell or Nextflow
• Working experience in bioinformatics
• Experience of working in an Agile team
• Experience of test-driven development
Please apply with your CV and Cover Letter.
Closing Date: 11/05/20
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leading genomics research centre. We undertake large-scale research that forms the foundations of knowledge in biology and medicine. Our findings are used to improve health and to understand life on Earth. Find out more at www.sanger.ac.uk or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Youtube and on our Blog.
Set across 130 acres, just outside of Cambridge, The Sanger Institute is located on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus. Home to some of the world’s foremost institutes and organisations in genomics and computational biology, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale, and creativity to solve some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Wellcome Genome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
• 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
• Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution (for more information, see our Pensions page)
• Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
• Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
• Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
• Life Assurance Cover and a Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract of 12 months or more)
• Enhanced maternity leave and parental leave
• Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
• Private Healthcare Scheme (after 6 months service)
• Eyecare and Dental payment plans
• Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Wellcome Genome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
• Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
• A car-share initiative
• Free parking
• A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
• A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
Find out more about our Wellcome Genome Campus.
We hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.