We have an exciting new opportunity for a Senior Software Developer to support the integration of an informatics pipelines within our sequencing informatics function. Working closely with other team members you will design, drive and develop the integration of informatics pipelines which either add value to DNA Pipeline’s data products, or reduce cost of producing existing data products (e.g. variant analysis).
You will be experienced in creating, amending and running large scale sequencing analysis pipelines and long sequence read analyses to be able to deliver pipelines which work consistently to provide the data products.
You will be comfortable working within a team environment but will also be responsible for you own workload with minimal supervision. Great interpersonal and communication skills is a must too as you will be working with customers to agree pipelines and work towards the continuous improvement of customer pipelines.
Technical Skillset *
• Degree in bioinformatics, mathematics, physics or computer science or equivalent experience.
• Experience of creating, amending and running large scale sequencing analysis pipelines.
• Experience of creating, amending and running long sequence read analyses.
• Creation or contribution to bioinformatics tools.
• Knowledge of at least one programming language suitable for compute intensive algorithms e.g. C, and of at least one language suitable for rapid prototyping or higher level orchestration.
• Comfortable using the shell, using batch processing systems, and using cloud compute.
*Competency Skillset *
• Ability to work in an independent manner under minimal supervision – capable of day-to-day direction of one’s own research.
• Ability to work well within a team: keen to engage with tasks to help others, and to both take, assess and apply feedback from other team members, and to provide constructive feedback to others (most often by reviewing pull requests).
• Good communication skills and experience of writing manuscripts for publication
To be considered for this role, please submit your CV and cover letter, detailing your experience and how you meet the criteria for this role.
Closing Date: 26th January 2020
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leading genomics research centre. We undertake large-scale research that forms the foundations of knowledge in biology and medicine. Our findings are used to improve health and to understand life on Earth. Find out more at www.sanger.ac.uk or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Youtube and on our Blog.
Set across 130 acres, just outside of Cambridge, The Sanger Institute is located on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus. Home to some of the world’s foremost institutes and organisations in genomics and computational biology, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale, and creativity to solve some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Genome Wellcome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
• 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
• Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution (for more information, see our Pensions page)
• Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
• Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
• Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
• Life Assurance Cover and a Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract of 12 months or more)
• Enhanced maternity leave and parental leave
• Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
• Private Healthcare Scheme (after 6 months service)
• Eyecare and Dental payment plans
• Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Genome Wellcome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
• Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
• A car-share initiative
• Free parking
• A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
• A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
Find out more about our Genome Wellcome Campus.
We hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.