Join a Team that Lives to Improve Lives
People come to Genentech from across disciplines and across the world to solve our most challenging medical conditions. You’ll find inspiration in our passion for biotechnology, our purpose to positively impact the lives of millions of patients and our dedication to our people. Joining Genentech means being part of a tradition of inquiry that will change the world. It means embracing our failures as much as our successes. It requires a willingness to look beyond the edge of what’s possible. And a focus on doing the day-to-day work that makes great science happen.
The following opportunity exists in our South San Francisco, CA headquarters:
Senior Scientist, Oncology Biomarker Development
We seek a highly talented and motivated Scientist to drive Genentech’s ground-breaking reverse translation efforts in cancer immunotherapy drug development. The candidate will join a new team of researchers on Genentech’s vibrant research campus in South San Francisco, with the goal of identifying and validating novel mechanisms of efficacy and resistance in support of Genentech/Roche’s early and late stage assets in cancer immunotherapy. Specifically, the individual will mine the company’s large clinical trial datasets to gain unique insights that will inform mechanisms of immune suppression and resistance to therapy in cancer, as a foundation for next-generation therapeutics. The candidate will have the opportunity to collaborate closely with Genentech’s internal clinical, biomarker and research leaders, as well as external academic partners.
The Senior Scientist will report to a Director in Oncology Biomarker Development (OBD), and will hold joint appointments in both OBD and Cancer Immunology Discovery Research, divisions of Genentech Research and Early Development. It is expected that the individual, in addition to overseeing Scientists, will drive disease area strategies, shape translational and discovery research projects, expand their technical capabilities, and build collaborations to enhance the scope and impact of the work of the team. The candidate will have considerable resources at their disposal to meet these goals.
The candidate will be part of a cross-functional team, including discovery scientists, bioinformatics scientists, and clinical researchers, working closely on a shared mission. The Scientist has the opportunity to be mentored and grow over time into an externally recognized leader in translational science, with a strong influence in the field of personalized cancer immunotherapy.
• Aid in the generation and analysis of large-scale, genomic, phenotypic, and molecular data from internal and external sources.
• Design, conduct, and analyze in vitro and in vivo experiments to validate targets in the context of cancer immunotherapy.
• Manage and mentor scientists
• Collaborate with scientists across different departments at Genentech to accomplish these research goals.
• Participate in and contribute to team meetings by presenting experimental plans and results.
• Strive to publish scientific and methodological results in high quality journals.
Who You Are
• PhD, MD or PhD/MD degree in a relevant scientific field (e.g. pathology, immunology, molecular biology, cancer genetics, cancer biology, molecular oncology, signaling)
• Experience in human immunology, cancer immunotherapy, or translational research and ability to perform high quality functional assays.
• Ability to work with large, multiomic datasets with, preferably, computational skills with statistical software packages such as R
• Minimum of 6-8 years postdoctoral basic or translational research experience in either academic and/or in an industry setting with sufficient management experience
• Demonstrated record of cutting-edge research as evidenced by first or senior authored publications in top tier journals
• Be able to distill complex issues and clearly articulate solutions
• Ability to collaborate, lead, influence and motivate others
• Ability to demonstrate effectiveness and growth
What to expect from us
• A highly collaborative and dynamic research environment where we aim to translate our understanding of cancer biology and immunology to develop personalized therapies and diagnostics to transform clinical practice to benefit patient health.
• Access to clinical data sets and samples.
• Access to state-of-the-art technologies and pioneering research.
• Participation in seminar series featuring academic and industry scientists.
• Campus-like lifestyle with a healthy work-life balance.
• Mentored opportunities to further develop professional skills.
A Job with Benefits Beyond the Benefits
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
The next step is yours. If you’d like to apply to this role or similar positions, click “Apply” to be taken to gene.com/careers.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
At Genentech, we share salary ranges with applicants during the recruiting process, if requested. Third party salary estimates may not be accurate or up-to-date.