Velabs Therapeutics GmbH is a young spin-off of the EMBL (European Molecular Biology Laboratory) in Heidelberg and specializes in the rapid and functional screening of antibodies using droplet-based microfluidic technology. Compared to current methods of antibody screening, Velabs technology for the first time allows the quantitative and rapid recognition of antibody functions in target cells. This allows preclinical development times for therapeutic antibodies to be significantly shortened and patients to be treated earlier. Velabs has recently successfully completed a second financing round.
For the extension of our team, we are looking for a
Senior Scientist Immunology/Target Processing and Validation (m/f)
- Support of the department Screening & Development in all operational and technical tasks and execution of screening experiments in own responsibility
- Implementation of molecular biological methods for the generation and validation of new fluorescent reporter cell lines
- Support and supervision of animal immunizations, B-cell isolation and cloning for the generation and transfer of antibody libraries into different cell systems (human, murine, yeast)
- Independent planning/implementation of processes to improve biologic/apparative sensitivity and reliability of screening rounds
- Development and optimization of cell-based assays and transfer into a microfluidic format
- Evaluation and documentation of test results
- Excellent know-how in GPCR and ion channel related physiology, their related pathologies and existing pharmacological developments
- Design, plan, and independently perform complex POC/efficacy studies (immunology, inflammation, oncology) in mice including: primary cell culture, dosing (IV, SC, IP), and measuring tumors, as well as the dissection of immune organs for subsequent ex vivo processing (e.g. isolation of plasma cells from spleen).
- Conceptualize, design, and perform novel in vitro functional assays with primary human and mouse cells for target validation
- Design assay screening suite and test antibodies in assay suite to enable lead antibody selection
- Analyzing current scientific literature to help identify new targets or new strategies for existing targets
- PhD degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology or related field with a minimum of 3 years of postdoctoral or equivalent industrial experience
- Solid knowledge of immunology, background in immunology-based diseases and treatment options
- Hands-on experience and know-how in immunization strategies, protein biochemistry, molecular and cellular biology, as well as cell culture (including primary & iPSC-derived cell-types)
- Direct experience with a broad range of immunological techniques, including isolation and stimulation of primary immune cells (of human and rodent origin), multi-color flow cytometry, immune cell-based assay development
- Solid knowledge and hands-on experience in microfluidic technology is an advantage but not absolutely required
- Proven track record in supervision of technicians / associates/ trainees
- Highly motivated and self-driven with excellent communication and presentation skills, capable to work both as a manager and also as a team player
- Fluency in English (written and oral)
Are you interested?
Then please send your application to email@example.com