For our location in Hamburg we are seeking:
Senior Scientist as Project Leader for PETRA IV accelerator systems
DESY is one of the world’s leading research centres for photon science, particle and astroparticle physics as well as accelerator physics. More than 2400 employees work at our two locations Hamburg and Zeuthen in science, technology and administration.
As part of DESY’s strategy for its large scale facilities, the PETRA III storage ring, which is currently the world’s brightest synchrotron radiation facility in the hard X-ray range, is planned to be upgraded to PETRA IV. This new accelerator complex will provide diffraction-limited X-ray beams with more than two orders of magnitude increase in brightness and coherence. To execute this large scale project, which is of central importance to the long term future of DESY, we are opening the position of a machine project leader.
Reporting to the Director of the M-Division the machine project leader will be responsible for:
- The successful delivery of the technical design report for the project
- The recruitment and build-up of the project team for machine design, construction and commissioning
- The implementation and management of an extensive and complex research program to minimize risk for the project execution phase and to prepare the overall PETRA IV project
- The management and coordination of the PETRA IV project upon launch of the construction phase for successful on-time and within budget delivery of the project
- A Ph.D. degree in physics or engineering or equivalent experience is required
- A nationally and internationally recognized expert in storage ring physics and general accelerator science with a proven record of successful project management experience
- Demonstrated leadership and communication skills to manage and motivate large teams
- Ability to make difficult decisions and handle complex situations involving many stakeholders
For further information please contact Dr. Wim Leemans, +49 40 8998-2010.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with those of public service organizations in Germany. Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women. Vacant positions at DESY are in general open to parttime-work. During each application procedure, DESY will assess whether the post can be filled with part-time employees.
We are looking forward to your application quoting the reference code preferably via our application system: Online Application.
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department | Code: MMA033/2019
Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg | Germany
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
Deadline for applications: Until the position is filled www.desy.de