Join a Team that Lives to Improve Lives
People come to Genentech from across disciplines and across the world to solve our most challenging medical conditions. You’ll find inspiration in our passion for biotechnology, our purpose to positively impact the lives of millions of patients and our dedication to our people. Joining Genentech means being part of a tradition of inquiry that will change the world. It means embracing our failures as much as our successes. It requires a willingness to look beyond the edge of what’s possible. And a focus on doing the day-to-day work that makes great science happen.
The following opportunity exists in our South San Francisco, CA headquarters:
Senior Scientific Supervisor/Scientific Manager,
Human Tissue Laboratory
We are looking for a self-motivated candidate to manage the HTL within the Research Pathology Department. The ideal candidate will manage and help further develop a core facility for the procurement, receipt, import, storage and distribution of human tissue samples, such as formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded (FFPE) blocks and loose frozen tissue, to support research and drug discovery efforts at Genentech. The candidate is expected to participate actively in request intake and management, process assessments and improvements, as well as daily interactions with both internal and external stakeholders. In addition, the candidate will establish lab goals, assess and manage priorities, drive project completion, communicate lab activities and timelines as well as providing direct day-to-day supervision of lab personnel, processes and facilities. Successful candidates will serve as the main point of contact for lab resourcing, budgeting, and troubleshooting in a manner aligned with Pathology leadership. Experience with standard biobanking practices and techniques is preferred. Experience with human biosample vendor procurement and with Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS), such as LabVantage, is a plus. Job level depends upon years of experience and level of independence.
• With oversight by a pathologist, provide lab management of HTL staff and facilities, appropriately delegating responsibility to laboratory personnel as needed
• Ensure appropriate prioritization of lab activities, expectation setting, adherence to agreed upon timelines, and responsiveness to needs of stakeholders and the department
• Collaborate with colleagues in Research Operations, Research Contracts, Product Development, Biosample and Repository Management, and Oncology Biomarker Development to facilitate effective specimen receipt, import and distribution
• Conduct regular check-ins and team meetings with personnel to evaluate and manage laboratory performance
• Supervise and mentor career development of laboratory personnel
• Communicate effectively with stakeholders and department leadership to convey capabilities, commitments, and needs of the HTL
• Provide technical and strategic input to inform group or departmental decision-making
• Recommend and implement changes to workflow and processes as needed, working departmental leadership to establish clear goals and priorities
• Monitor and evaluate laboratory metrics, including bandwidth, throughput and backlog to maintain and improve output quality and efficiency in alignment with departmental priorities
• Annually review departmental tissue inventory status and budget needed to maintain inventory
• Review on an annual basis
• Laboratory operational budget needs, departmental tissue inventory status, departmental tissue procurement budget needs
• Restricted tissue collections (evaluate for restriction renewal)
• Laboratory performance metrics, accomplishments, challenges, and resourcing
• Ensure HTL and Pathology practices comply with Roche policies, including – but not limited to – safety standards, informed consent, and privacy requirements
• Evaluate and implement technology changes
• Monitor ongoing developments in the field of biobanking and storage
Who You Are
• BA/BS in a biomedically related discipline
• 4+ years managerial experience of a biological core lab or biorepository lab
• Significant record of on-the-job success (e.g., FTE/cost savings, recommendation letters)
• People management soft skills
• Highly organized and detail-oriented
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• Strong process management and computer/database skills expected
• Commitment to quality and stakeholder focused
• Ability to make sound decisions about scheduling, allocation of resources, and managing priorities
• Agile and open to change; process-oriented with a passion for optimization and innovation
• Work creatively and independently within an extremely dynamic and collaborative research environment
• Familiarity with anatomy/pathology terminology and prior histology experience is a plus
Work Environment/Physical Demands/Safety Considerations:
• May need to lift or move objects 40 pounds or less.
• In presence of human tissues, requires universal precautions (BSL-1 and BSL-2)
A Job with Benefits Beyond the Benefits
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the “Apply online” button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
At Genentech, we share salary ranges with applicants during the recruiting process, if requested. Third party salary estimates may not be accurate or up-to-date.