Queen’s University Belfast
Senior Research Fellow/Research Fellow
Institute for Global Food Security
School of Biological Sciences
We are recruiting for a Senior Research Fellow/ Research Fellow in dietary flavonoid research who will work with Professor Aedin Cassidy and her team in the delivery and support of a portfolio of research (nutrition intervention trials, biomarkers and large population-based studies). The post holder will take the lead in conducting complex statistical analyses of existing population-based datasets, laboratory/analytical research and statistical analyses of completed nutrition intervention trials, together with assisting in the preparation of grant applications and ethics/research governance. There will be opportunity to develop the post holder’s research skills and to co-author papers.
The successful Senior Research Fellow must have:
• PhD in a relevant health science /nutritional biochemistry discipline (such as epidemiology, medical statistics, nutrition, biochemistry, analytical chemistry)
• First or upper second class honours degree or equivalent related to a health science such as epidemiology, medical statistics, nutrition, biochemistry.
• Substantial experience and skills relevant to this project e.g. experience of data analyses of population-based studies and nutrition intervention trials, experience of laboratory and statistical analyses of microbiome or metabolism datasets
• Demonstrated experience of laboratory research methods and statistical methods pertinent to nutrition datasets
• Experience of devising, organising and running complex nutrition interventions
• Experience of using data analysis packages such as SPSS, STATA or MPlus.
We may also consider appointing at Research Fellow level
The criteria for a Research Fellow is:
• Have a PhD in a relevant health science /nutritional biochemistry discipline (such as epidemiology, medical statistics, nutrition, biochemistry, analytical chemistry)
• Minimum of 3 years research experience and skills relevant to this project.
• Relevant experience and skills as outlined above for Senior Research fellow
Queen’s University Belfast is a driver of innovation based on our talented, multinational workforce. Throughout the University, our academics are collaborating across disciplines to develop new discoveries and insights, working with outside agencies and institutions on projects of international significance. We are connected and networked with strategic partnerships across the world, helping us to expand our impact on wider society locally, nationally and globally. The University is committed to attracting, retaining and developing the best global talent within an environment that enables them to realise their full potential.
We are a leader in gender equality and diversity, and are one of the UK’s most successful Universities in the Athena SWAN initiative which promotes gender equality and career progression, with the School of Biological Sciences having been awarded the Athena SWAN Gold Award in recognition of our work to support women in Science. We are ranked 1st in the UK for Knowledge Transfer Partnerships, (Innovate UK) 9th in the UK for University facilities (Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2018) and 14th in the UK for research quality (Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019).
The School of Biological Sciences is part of the Faculty of Medicine, Health and Life Sciences. It is made up of three research disciplines, including Ecosystems Biology & Sustainability, Food Safety & Nutrition, and Microbes & Pathogen Biology. Many staff within the School are also members of the Institute for Global Food Security GRI: the Institute is ranked No 1 in the UK for research intensity in Agriculture, Veterinary and Food Sciences (REF 2014).
Further information about the School, Institute, Group Leader and projects may be obtained at:
Informal enquiries may be directed to: Mrs Joyce Watterson via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Tuesday 10 March 2020
Anticipated interview date: Tuesday 7 April 2020
Depending on the level we appoint at the contract duration is as follows:
Senior Research Fellow: 2 years and 1 month
Research Fellow: 2 years and 10 months
We will also consider appointing on a part time basis.
Salary: Senior Research Fellow: £41,526 to £45,361 per annum
Research Fellow: £33,797 to £40,322 per annum
For full job details and criteria please see the Candidate Information link on our website by clicking ‘apply’. You must clearly demonstrate how you meet the criteria when you submit your application. For further information please contact Resourcing Team, Queen’s University
Belfast, BT7 1NN. Telephone (028) 9097 3044 or email email@example.com
The University is committed to equality of opportunity and to selection on merit. We welcome applications from all sections of society and particularly from people with a disability.
Fixed term contract posts are available for the stated period in the first instance but, in particular circumstances, may be renewed or made permanent, subject to availability of funding.