Job Opening Notice for Senior Research Fellow at IBS Center for Cognition and Sociality: Cognitive Glioscience Group
The Institute for Basic Science (IBS) is Korea’s first government-funded basic science research institute established under Article 14 of the Special Act on Establishment of and Support for International Science and Business Belt. IBS aims to discover creative knowledge and technologies through world-class basic science research.
The research of the Cognitive Glioscience Group in the IBS Center for Cognition and Sociality focuses on unraveling the mechanisms of synthesis and release of gliotransmitters in astrocyte, the mechanism of astrocyte-mediated brain plasticity, and developing drug candidates targeting astrocyte for Alzheimer’s and other neurodegenerative diseases.
The Cognitive Glioscience Group is looking for a creative and rigorous senior research fellow who will help us achieve our goals as an independent research scientist.
Recruitment Area and Opening
- Affiliation(workplace): IBS Center for Cognition and Sociality (IBS HQ, Daejeon)
- Job category: Senior research fellow
- Recruitment area: Glycomics analysis of brain functions
- Qualifications: Doctoral degree
- You can download the required forms from the below link;
-Major: Neuroscience, brain science, or other related fields
-Work Experience: At least 3 years of postdoctoral research
-Applicant with original creative research plan
-Applicant capable of leading research teams, taking charge of essential projects and guiding students and postdoc
- Senior research fellow: Dedicated research personnel who serve a leadership role* at Centers. Researchers with corresponding author credentials and are capable of serving in a team leader role by leading small- and mid-sized projects that are necessary for group research at Centers.
Qualifications and Preferences
- Those who have obtained a Ph.D. at an accredited university in Korea or abroad.
- Those who are qualified as defined in Article 33 of the State Public Officials Act and IBS regulations.
- Those who completed mandatory military service or are exempt from such service, and are permitted to travel abroad.
- Additional points for persons with disabilities as defined in Articles 3 and 4 of the Enforcement Decree of the Act on the Employment Promotion and Vocational Rehabilitation of Persons with Disabilities, or persons eligible for employment assistance as defined in Article 29 of the Act on the Honorable Treatment of and Support for Persons, Etc. of Distinguished Service to the State.
Stage 1(document screening)
- Details: Relevance to the recruitment area, excellence of research achievements, originality & creativity of research plan, leadership and research resource management skills, etc.
- Criteria: Three times the number of candidates than open positions will be selected to continue to the next stage. Applicants with the highest average scores will be selected (minimum average score: 80).
- Required documents:
-CV and list of research achievements
-Letter of self-introduction
-Consent form for collection and use of personal information
-Other documents may be requested by the research center.
Stage 2 (interview screening)
- Details: Creativity of research skills, presentation skills and attitude, leadership and research resource management skills, potential for development, etc.
- Criteria: Select the final candidate(s) with the highest average scores within the number of openings (minimum average score: 80).
- Required documents: Other documents will be stated in a separate notification for applicants who pass document screening
Document Submission and Period
- Documents submitted via e-mail: CV (free-format), list of research achievements (free-format: thesis, patent, journal publication, etc.), research plan (free-format), letter of self-introduction (attached form), consent form for collection and use of personal information (attached form)
- E-mail Title: [Applying for senior research fellow position at the IBS Center for Cognition and Sociality] YYY (applicant’s name)
- All documents should be written in English
- Period: 01 July 2020 (Wed.) ~ 21 July 2020 (TUE.) 18:00 (KST)
- A successful candidate will receive sufficient annual research funding and space for independent research.
- Applicants take full responsibility for any consequences resulting from omissions or errors found in submitted documents, not submitting required documents, etc. If any information is proven to be false, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- Submitted documents may be returned when a request is made within three months from the announcement of recruitment results in accordance with Article 4 of the Enforcement Decree of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- If selected candidates are disqualified through a background check or a recruitment-related physical examination, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- If selected candidates are public officials dismissed for corruption, as laid out in Article 82 of the Act on the Prevention of Corruption and the Establishment of the Anti-corruption and Civil Rights Commission, the job offer will be withdrawn.
- No candidates may be hired if all candidates are found to be unsuitable during the screening process.
- If hired, the job category (work level), annual salary, etc. will comply with IBS standards.
- Contract terms and conditions: After passing an assessment before initial contract (2 years) expires, the employment will be renewed every two years until the Center (research group) closes.
- Final candidates will be appointed on 16 September 2020. (Appointment schedule may change.)
- Workplace: IBS Center for Cognition and Sociality: Cognitive Glioscience Group (IBS HQ, Daejeon)
- Inquiries: Integrated Administrative Team 2 (phone: 042-878-8320, email: email@example.com)