BioLumic is a venture-backed, New Zealand start-up company that exploits UV-plant photomorphogenesis in seeds and seedlings to trigger biological mechanisms that increase plant growth, vigour and yields. We are now engaging with the medicinal cannabis market, and we are looking for a Senior Scientist with a strong background in plant biology to lead research in the development and testing of BioLumic UV applications in this space. This position will be based in New Zealand, and we are looking for a driven and successful plant biologist to join our team.
*What you do
• Lead scientific research in the development and testing of BioLumic UV treatments for Cannabis.
• Communicate experimental findings to other team members.
• Work with feedback and input from team members; providing feedback and advice in return.
*Trials and Analysis
• Conceive, design, and lead the execution of R&D trials.
• Use spreadsheets and statistical packages, including database software, to store and analyse data, and build perspectives using previous experimental findings.
• Involvement in field trials, including visiting trial sites and contractors, sometimes overseas.
• Work across disciplines to achieve experimental outcomes that take the business forward.
• Work closely with R&D Manager to ensure R&D project success against R&D milestones.
*Health and Safety
• Compliance with all BioLumic Health & Safety policies and practices.
• Attendance at Health & Safety training and meetings as required.
*How you do your work
• Planning and Organising – Remains focused. Strong organisation and time management skills. Effectively prioritises and schedules work. Determines required tasks and resources to efficiently complete work.
• Passion and a “Can Do” attitude – Demonstrates a genuine passion for the organisation, its vision, values, people and products. Willing to help where required to get the job done.
• Action Oriented – Is energetic and takes proactive action to achieve tasks. Enjoys working hard. Demonstrates a proactive approach to your work.
• Work quality – Understands the importance of high work standards. Sets high performance standards. Takes responsibility for successfully completing tasks to a high standard rather than having standards imposed.
• Experience in plant biology and/or photobiology would be an advantage.
• Strong organisational (time management), analytical and creative problem-solving skills.
• Proven ability to design and run statistically robust scientific problem-solving skills.
*What you bring to the role
• An understanding that science cannot stay in the lab.
• A positive, can do mentality.
• Strong people skills, especially when listening and questioning.
• Proven leadership and supervision of a small team of scientists.
• Ability to work independently.
• Willingness to travel when required, including overseas.
• Ideally 3+ years of post-PhD experience in a research environment.
• Cannabis-related plant biology knowledge desirable.
• Degree training to PhD level in plant biology, horticultural science or a related discipline is essential.
If you have questions about the role, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.