• Leads the research and/or design and development of new Life Science Products and diagnostic assays.
• The successful candidate will possess knowledge of current concepts, methods, and procedures in the disciplines of molecular biology, biochemistry and immunology.
• The position is primarily a hands-on laboratory-based position and will support Company goals of new product discovery, development, and scale-up to production department.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
• Develop the nature and general plan for research projects in new product development.
• Manage complex projects, assist in strategic project development and implementation.
•Supervise research assistants and assist/advise with problems that they can’t resolve on their own.
• Present data/conclusions to management and when appropriate, to colleagues in the scientific field via conferences and trade show.
• Assist with general scientific training and new product training of MP Bio personnel as needed.
• Direct initial patent applications of novel ideas.
• Collaborate with other MP Bio facilities globally, outside customer collaborators and research partners.
• Implement and supervise projects utilizing scientific knowledge in nucleic acid isolation, sample preparation, amplification, detection and genetic analysis.
• Beta testing new products with customers.
• Writing IFU, product protocols.
• Support and supervise general laboratory maintenance, including materials inventory and instrument upkeep, and maintaining a laboratory notebook or systems documentation.
Preferred Education & Experience
• PhD in Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Biomolecular Engineering, Life Science, or related field with at least 3 years of applicable industry experience.
• Experience in new product development.
• Knowledge of general lab both instruments and reagent chemistry is required.
• Knowledge in instrumentation development a plus.
• Strong record of peer-reviewed publications.
• Analytical thought needed to resolve issues in a variety of complex situations, without supervision.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills to exchange complex information and ability to influence peers, superiors, and partners.
• Domestic and international travel necessary.
• Report to Technical Director.
• Supervise research assistants locally and in global MP facilities.
• Works with global and regional marketing and sales teams, operations and procurement.
• Work with production department to transfer new product technology and scale-up.
•Works with outside collaborators, vendors, contractors and scientific groups.
• Primarily lab environment.
• Field including customers, collaborators, vendors, contractors and scientific groups and KOLs.
• Physical demands: able to transport instruments and lab equipment, long hours standing, hand-eye coordination and dexterity, visual examination.
Impact:• Initiate and evaluate technical merit, strategic and tactical feasibility of research proposals, products, companies and business relationships, and communicate conclusions to senior management and other levels of Company structure.
• Successful product development and launch will impact affect all cross-functional areas of Company as well as external areas including public, collaborators, competitors and scientific community.
• Management in accordance with the Company policies and applicable laws.
• Supervisor apprised of ongoing projects and final approval needed for those projects deemed outside of limits of authority.