Location: Spring House, Pennsylvania; San Diego, California; La Jolla, California
Requisition ID: 6256191001
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a Johnson & Johnson company, is recruiting for a Senior Principal Scientist, Genetic Data Integration, in our Population Analytics group, to be located at our Spring House, PA or La Jolla/San Diego, CA campus in the United States.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science.
We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research & Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
Janssen Pharma R&D seeks an innovative scientist with expertise in creatively applying quantitative analysis to large-scale population-based studies as well as real-world data to advance our pharmaceutical and/or biomedical research, drug discovery and development agenda. We seek an individual with strong training and experience in applied quantitative methods and a track record of scholarship. Candidates should possess outstanding communication skills as well as broad biological interests that will enable them to facilitate interactions between laboratory-based scientists in our Therapeutic Areas.
He/she will be part of the Computational Sciences group in the Discovery Sciences organization within Janssen Parma R&D. He/she will be a member of the Population Analytics team within Computational Sciences which aims to bring together researchers within and outside of Janssen with expertise in human disease genetics, genetic epidemiology, computer/computational science, high performance computing, human/population/statistical genetics, genomics etc.
The mission of the Population Analytics team is to support longitudinal, population-based studies to increase understanding and facilitate the search for therapies that prevent, intercept or cure disease. They will be responsible for integration, analysis and interpretation of data collected on several cohorts and across geographical/time scales. These data include, for example, demographics, longitudinal clinical information contained in electronic medical records, self-reported health outcomes, imaging and other digital phenotypes, quantitative biomarkers, and multi-omics assays. The overarching goal is to leverage this vast collection of data to decipher causal factors such as genes, the environment and an individual’s lifestyle that will facilitate the discovery of novel targets, biomarkers and pathways implicated in disease. We expect these researchers to address with the goal of using biomedical data to build a best-in-class target identification and validation engine (TIDVALE) to feed our pipeline.
Role & responsibilities:
• Lead, manage and supervise a team of experts in computational/computer science experienced in large-scale data management involving the aggregation and integration of massive, diverse biomedical datasets comprised of clinical phenotype, -omics and other experimental data generated within and outside of Janssen.
• Establish and optimize data storage, management and integration capabilities incorporated within computational pipelines on a wide range of computing platforms. Provide biomedical data management expertise to develop and deploy cyber-infrastructure and data management capabilities, in collaboration with academic and commercial partners, that will enable Janssen researchers to interrogate high-dimensional data from longitudinal, population and/or targeted cohort-based studies. To goal is to implement cutting edge data management tools necessary to help our researchers identify and/or validate potential therapeutic targets, pathways and biomarkers implicated in disease.
• Act as scientific lead working with internal and external partners to develop and deploy a data management platform built on data from population cohorts such as the UK Biobank, and act as a key leader in collaborations with internal and external partners.
• He/she will supervise, guide and mentor junior scientists and postdoctoral fellows and in general act as an expert scientific leader to support and nurture collaborations with internal and external partners to build our TIDVALE.
• Perform and publish high-quality research relevant to the mission of the organization; effectively communicate data and results to our stakeholders within and outside of J&J and work effectively with colleagues across J&J sectors.
• A M.D. and/or Ph.D. in computer/computational sciences, biomedical sciences, physical sciences or engineering with extensive expertise in large-scale computing is required.
• Experience in data management and analytics of biomedical data in a pharmaceutical environment is preferred.
• A minimum of 10 or more years post-graduate experience in applying data management tools and capabilities in the physical or biomedical sciences is preferred.
• Expertise in high performance computing is required.
• Strong management and/or leadership skills and demonstrated ability to lead a group of scientists to deliver on objectives in defined timelines is required.
• Experience with drug discovery and development practices and project support in a large pharmaceutical setting is preferred.
• Independent, self-motivated, innovative and able to excel in a goal-oriented, multifaceted and fast-moving team environment are required.
• Outstanding communication and organizational skills, with a successful track record of publication and collaboration with cross-functional scientific teams is required.
• The role will require up to 30% domestic/international travel. The role will be based in our Spring House Pennsylvania or La Jolla San Diego campus in the United States.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House-1400McKeanRoad
North America-United States-California-San Diego, North America-United States-California-La Jolla
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)