INVITED CHAIR IN NATURAL HERITAGE
PARQUES DE SINTRA MONTE DA LUA / UNIVERSITY OF PORTO
The University of Porto, through its research center CIBIO – Centro de Investigação em Biodiversidade
e Recursos Genéticos, the company Parques de Sintra Monte da Lua, and the Portuguese Foundation
for Science and Technology (FCT), are launching a public international call for an Invited Chair in the
field of Natural Heritage.
The primary goal of the Invited Chair call is to attract a top level researcher to the University of Porto
in order to develop and promote emerging areas of knowledge, namely to boost the growth of R&D
activities, and advanced training in the field of Restoration Ecology at CIBIO-InBIO – Research Center
in Biodiversity and Genetic Resources – Research Network in Biodiversity and Evolution
The successful candidate is expected to become a member of CIBIO-InBIO, to promote CIBIO-InBIO
strategic scientific areas (Biodiversity, Genetics and Evolution) and to perform innovative research
with a strongly applied component in collaboration with Parques de Sintra Monte da Lua. We
welcome applications from candidates with a research profile in Biology, Ecology or related areas,
with a focus on Restoration Ecology, a proven record of excellence in research and also the capacity
to excel in teaching, training and fundraising.
The University of Porto (UP) / Parques de Sintra Monte da Lua Invited Chair will be awarded to an
international top level researcher that will be hired by the University of Porto as an Invited Professor,
for an initial period of three years. The researcher is expected to:
• Develop research in the fields of natural heritage, restoration ecology, ecosystem services, and
related areas, at University of Porto, with a particular focus on cultural landscapes.
• Develop experiments of landscape management and ecosystem restoration in the Cultural
Landscape of Sintra– World Heritage site, that is managed by Parques de Sintra Monte da Lua,
aiming to enhance resistance and resilience of peri-urban and highly visited ecosystems.
• Contribute to the internationalization of CIBIO and UP through partnerships and collaborations
with top level scientists in foreign and international institutions.
• Attract funds for the development of research related to the themes of the Chair, through the
preparation of funding applications to public and private institutions, at the Portuguese and
• Contribute to the development of the ongoing international master/doctoral program in the field
of Biodiversity, Genetics and Evolution.
• Participate in the supervision and training of doctoral and post-doctoral researchers.
• Initial term of three years, with a position equivalent to Full Professor at the University of Porto.
The contract may be extended upon evaluation of performance at the end of the initial period.
• Gross income negotiable, commensurate with experience, with additional fringe benefits such
as medical assistance and retirement plans. Portugal has tax exemption treaties with several
• Recipient must work full time at one of the offices of CIBIO-InBIO (Porto or Lisbon), with regular
trips to Sintra (Lisbon area).
The selection will be based on the documentation provided by candidates (see below), using the
following criteria, by an international panel of evaluators to be appointed by CIBIO/University of
Porto and Parques de Sintra Montes da Lua:
• Scientific and technical track record and potential of the researcher.
• Ability to integrate well in the main research areas at CIBIO and to take advantage of the Center’s
existing research infrastructure.
• Record in the supervision of doctoral and post-doctoral students.
• Record of funded research grants and national and international collaborations.
• Capacity to mobilize international partnerships, as well as networks and other research initiatives
and experience in organization/cooperation in masters/doctoral programs.
The selection procedure will include an interview with the most suited candidates. University of Porto
follows the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of
Researchers (Commission Recommendation, Brussels, 11.3.2005, 2005/251/EC) and is committed to
the principle of equity in employment and selection based on merit.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The deadline for submission of applications is 15/01/2020 and these should be sent only through the
website http://www.cibio.pt/ . You can also request additional info at this address.
The starting date for the successful candidate is tentatively scheduled for February 2020, but could
be other upon mutual agreement. The call may remain open if no candidate is deemed suitable.
Prepare the application materials as pdf files and send them through the website
http://www.cibio.pt/. PDF files should contain all of the following documents:
i Cover letter
ii Curriculum vitae
iii Proposed working plan for 5 years (max. 3 pages)
iv List of publications
v Maximum of 5 representative reprints
vi Names and contacts for referral request.