Job title: Senior Marketing Manager, Key Accounts Europe & North America
Line manager: Head of Marketing, MRS Key Account Marketing
Department: MaPs Commercial Marketing – Nature Research Group
Purpose of the role: Nature Research, part of Springer Nature, is a flagship portfolio of journals and brands along with curated products and marketing services dedicated to serving the scientific community.
As part of a dynamic marketing team, the Senior Marketing Manager will work closely with global marketing team members, the US/UK/EU sales team, the US/UK/EU Marketing Manager, and the MaPs commercial editorial team. The Senior Marketing Manager will ensure strategic planning and management of marketing campaigns and collateral, driving sales, business growth and retention of our commercial products within the region. This includes strategic campaign management on behalf of our clients, including reporting, as well as market research and lead generation for products and services tailored for the region. These campaigns and initiatives will highlight our capabilities and services for the scientific community and capitalize on our brand position leading to increased market share.
- Develop and continue to nurture a deep understanding of the MaPs commercial portfolio to support conception, delivery, and retention of MaPs commercial products and services.
- Develop and continue to nurture a deep understanding of the North America & European markets in order to articulate customer needs aligned with our solutions.
- Define and profile market segments among clients to best target marketing activities and sales offerings.
- Manage US/UK/EU Marketing Manager, modeling effective business and marketing practices, leadership and providing a path for professional development.
- Understand and monitor new opportunities, trends, and competition in the marketplace, recommending action for sales opportunities and commercial solutions.
- Provide strategic marketing input and market research support for new product development initiatives.
- Set the marketing strategy aligned to revenue and business growth goals.
- Monitor and report on results of marketing campaigns executed on behalf of clients.
- Partner with manager, editorial teams, and sales teams to develop and implement end-to-end lead generation campaigns for the market.
- Work collaboratively within marketing, sales, and editorial teams to build brand awareness via content marketing to nurture leads, demonstrate value, and position MaPs Commercial as industry thought leader.
- Collaborate with marketing team to establish KPIs and reporting, identify and close gaps therein, and instill a high sense of urgency for ROI reconciliation.
- Oversee development and production of marketing materials which support sales team efforts and effectively enable sales team to articulate products and services.
- Represent US/UK/EU team and global marketing team at key client meetings both during the proposal stage to assist in winning the business as well as during the delivery of our contracted marketing activities to ensure client understanding and satisfaction with our marketing capabilities.
- Represent US/UK/EU team and global marketing team at key exhibitions, conferences, and key team meetings.
- Participate with US/UK/EU sales team on RFPs and proposals, providing insight on marketing capabilities and presenting solutions to best meet and surpass our client expectations enabling the team to win new and repeat business.
- Monitor budget and expenditures closely with an eye on allocations and resources.
- Manage the development and delivery training materials for products and services for US/UK/EU sales teams.
- US/UK/EU Sales teams and managers; Global Marketing teams; US/UK/EU Marketing Manager; Key External clients; Commercial Editorial teams; Centralized Services
- University Degree
- Extensive marketing experience, preferably in a sales focused marketing environment
- Managing budgets and proven cost control
- Leadership at key exhibits, conferences, and key meetings
- Experience of developing integrated marketing strategies and plans, both offline and digital with verified results
- Awareness of global marketing trends and techniques and a commitment to developing marketing best practices
- A proven track record of professional achievements and development
- Exceptional ability to work effectively within matrixed organization
- Self-motivated and pro-active in creative problem-solving
- Professional maturity, able to work in a service orientated environment
- Ability to listen and understand client needs and provide strategic solutions leveraging MRS’ most effective assets
- Personal effectiveness in handling complexity, change and challenge in external and corporate environments
- Sound knowledge of publishing business models
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in both Japanese and English. Korean a plus.
- Awareness of global marketing trends and techniques and a commitment to developing marketing best practices.
- A proven track record of professional achievements and development.
- Uses technical job knowledge and experience, incorporating functional skills and broad based business knowledge, to meet and exceed job requirements and customer expectations.
- Up-to-date and disciplined, able to generate and present high quality, relevant and usable job-related information.
- Efficiently manages workload and projects within set timelines and to agreed budget, achieving set objectives.
- Assimilates and applies new job-related information in a timely manner.
- Maintains a professional attitude and approach to work.
- Takes an ethical approach to internal and business relationships. Is aware of compliance and regulations as a framework for business activities.
- Produces consistent results both professionally and personally.
- Use of initiative and a proactive approach with drive to make a contribution.
- Focuses on achieving positive results contributing to team goals and the overall success of the business.
- Drive and motivation to exceed customer expectations
- Nurture relationships by recognizing and delivering on internal and external customer’s needs and opinions.
- Make customers and their needs a primary focus of their actions.
- Builds effective relationships through positive communication that motivates and influences others.
- Works cooperatively and flexibly with other members of the team, and seen as a valued team member actively involved in achieving team objectives.
- Effectively communicates relevant ideas or details in a way that enhances relations in the work environment. Successfully influences others to accept and support an idea/proposal/plan.
- Takes initiative to identify current and potential problems and determines the best possible solution.
- Involves and/or manages people and resources required.
- Identifies the cause of problems and key issues through investigation; identifies effective, logical and practical solutions.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner and evaluates their effectiveness.
- Is able to work effectively in a highly complex, diverse, changing environment.
- Changes own behavior in order to deal with changing circumstances.
- Maintains a high level of performance under conditions of increased pressure, competition and adversity.
- Achieves results by setting goals using quality planning, analysis and decision making skills.
- Adapts and copes successfully with changing circumstances.
- Structures activities within an established time frame, following up on details in order to achieve maximum effectiveness.
INNOVATION & CHANGE
- Embraces creativity, innovation and is open to new ideas. Innovates to improve current working practices, products, and/or technologies to provide business opportunities and results. Proactively pursues opportunities to drive change that add value to the business.
- Welcomes new challenges, and contributes views and ideas.
- Adapts well to, and is energized by change whilst maintaining focus on key business goals and personal objectives.
- Takes action to achieve favorable outcomes for the organization, beyond minimum performance expectations, and seeks opportunities to improve work procedures.
STRATEGY & PLANNING
- Understands the needs and direction of the business in context of market opportunities, threats and overall business and departmental objectives.
- Anticipates and develops individual, team, and business priorities to meet these objectives.
- Embraces change and drives to improve current working practices, products, and technologies to grow the business.
- Consistently produces high value results both professionally and personally by effective management of business processes.
- Effectively plans, budgets, tracks and evaluates performance of his/her business area.
PEOPLE MANAGEMENT (WHEN APPLICABLE)
- Effectively manages people to achieve the best results for the business.
- Ensures people receive accurate and timely feedback, that they feel valued, motivated and are getting the most out of working for the company.
- Enlists support, co-operation and participation when influencing and guiding others toward the accomplishment of tasks.
- Monitors performance on an ongoing basis, provides positive feedback for effective performance, coaches to resolve performance difficulties.
- Role models and drives conviction and a shared vision for his/her group or business area that motivates others to work towards it.
- Has a clear sense of direction and future focus which they share with others. Able to develop a sense of focus and energy for the team and takes action to influence others to work towards accomplishment of the mission.
- Consistently delivers on commitments and timetables. Communicates both good and bad news honestly and directly