GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent and technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
Biopharm Discovery is a department dedicated to the discovery of novel and effective biopharmaceutical medicines. This department comprises several complementary functions focused on the progression of a portfolio of biopharmaceuticals from initial antibody discovery, expression and characterisation to molecular engineering and biological and physiochemical profiling.
Within the Biopharm Discovery unit, the Antibody Technologies group is looking for an innovative scientist with a strong background in the field of antibody drug discovery and development to identify, evaluate and embed state-of-the-art and next generation human antibody technologies identified through business development partnerships, academic collaborations and internal research.
The successful candidate will report to the Head of Antibody Technologies. You will be expected to play a role in developing and executing the strategy of the group, and lead technology development initiatives that can encompass any aspect of therapeutic antibody development from antibody discovery through to clinical candidate. You will have a unique opportunity to work with world-class scientific experts to transition innovation into first-in-class or best-in-class antibodies for multiple therapeutic areas including oncology, immunology, and infectious disease.
- Identify and explore new and innovative technologies that can be developed in-house or through external partnerships, to advance our antibody discovery and development processes.
- Work closely with therapeutic area and research unit heads to develop modalities appropriate for the disease target biology.
- Manage scientific collaborations with biotech and academic partners.
- Support business development, due diligence and IP generation. Represent Antibody Technologies and Biopharm Discovery at internal and external scientific meetings.
- Although this is not intended to be a lab-based role you will be required to design workplans and guide more junior staff and students performing experimental work to validate and implement novel technologies.
We can offer you a collaborative learning environment and the opportunity to develop your career and gain experience across drug discovery. If you share our priorities of innovation, performance and trust and are motivated to contribute towards bringing lifesaving drugs to patients, then we’d love to hear from you.
Closing date for applications: 18th November 2019
During the course of your application you will be requested to complete voluntary information which will be used in monitoring the effectiveness of our equality and diversity policies. Your information will be treated as confidential and will not be used in any part of the selection process.
If you require a reasonable adjustment to the application / selection process to enable you to demonstrate your ability to perform the job requirements please contact 0808 234 4391. This will help us to understand any modifications we may need to make to support you throughout our selection process.
When applying for this role, please use the ‘cover letter’ of the on-line application to describe how you meet the competencies for this role, as outlined in the job requirements above. The information that you have provided in your cover letter and CV will be used to assess your application.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Ph. D or equivalent degree in Biomedical or Life Sciences with a broad knowledge of immunology, molecular biology, and biochemistry.
- Relevant postdoctoral experience in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
- Proven experience in biopharmaceutical drug discovery and development
- Experience with diverse antibody discovery platforms such as phage display, yeast-based systems and immunization technologies desirable.
- Experience in the development of bispecific, multi-specific/multifunctional antibodies, and novel formats would be desirable.
- Experience in the therapeutic areas of oncology and inflammatory diseases would be advantageous.
- Proven track record in the evaluation, adoption and implementation of novel, technologies / methods.
- Able to forge effective business relationships with academic, pharma and biotech partners.
- Capable of working in multi-disciplinary teams and across therapeutic areas.
- Able to communicate complete and accurate information while maintaining confidentiality.
- Reliable and responsible team player with strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication and networking skills.
- Strong “can do” mentality and motivation
As a company driven by our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Integrity, we know inclusion and diversity are essential for us to be able to succeed. We want all our colleagues to thrive at GSK bringing their unique experiences, ensuring they feel good and to keep growing their careers. As a candidate for a role, we want you to feel the same way.
We’re open to all talent – whatever your gender, disability, marital status, religion or belief, age, race, sexual orientation, ethnic or national origin.
We believe in an agile working culture for all our roles. If flexibility is important to you, we encourage you to explore with our hiring team what the opportunities are.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you’d like to discuss any adjustments to our process which might help you demonstrate your strengths and capabilities. You can either call us on 0808 234 4391, or send an email email@example.com
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which is voluntary. This will be used to help us understand how well we are doing against our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to complete it. Rest assured, Hiring Managers do not have access to this information, it is not used in any part of the selection process and we will treat your information confidentially and use it anonymously.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK’s commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting For the Record site.