Shiok Meats is looking for a Senior Food Technologist (upstream) who will lead our research and development (R&D) projects involving processing our meat and by-products. The candidate will lead a talented team of Food Technologists (upstream), collaborate and work together with the rest of the Food Tech management team on strategic challenges, and will drive innovative projects.
- Masters/Ph.D. in Food Technology/Food Processing Engineering or related fields.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in the food industry involved in the food industry with research and development experience.
- Experience in the seafood/meat processing sector is preferred.
- Experience in seafood/meat and/or liquid processing and product development, from conceptualizing, planning, executing, and leading the projects working.
- Able to draw conclusions and make recommendations based on research data and findings.
- Lead R&D technical projects for crustacean meat and liquid by-product processing.
- Design and oversee food science research and development, including process optimization, ingredient selection, protein chemistry, food engineering, scale-up, sensory analysis, seasoning development, and nutritional analysis.
- Lead projects to develop novel seafood products with various scaffold manufacturing technologies and cell integration approaches.
- Build and develop a world-class crustacean product development team, from formulation to commercialization.
- Operate cross-functionally and has a good grasp of concepts at the intersection of food science, biology, engineering, and commercialization to work closely with team leads from different departments.
- Envision a long-term R&D plan for crustacean meat and liquid by-products to launch various products in line with market requirements.
- Work closely with stem cell, media development and bioprocess team to understand different modes of process and work with the regulatory team to prepare a consolidated regulatory approval dossier.
- Plan, lead and execute the technology transfer from R&D to manufacturing in downstream processing.
- Work closely with the food tech downstream processing team to set up a scaled process plan by applying key knowledge in ingredient functionalities, formulas, and process of crustacean meat/liquid by-products
- Able to design, organize, and coordinate scientific and/or engineering research projects.
- Conceptualize, design, and manage experiments enhancing texture, taste, functionality, and appearance of novel meat products.
- Determine and deliver key critical quality attributes for each species or product.
- Identify and meet with external vendors and resources where appropriate and oversee external projects required to accomplish project goals.
- Rigorous documentation of experimental procedures and data.
- Communicate results and data in a timely and effective manner.
- Provide guidance to junior scientists or associates.
- Contribute to regulatory submissions and inspections as appropriate as a subject matter expert representing food technology upstream research.
- Strongly motivated and believes in the mission to bring crustacean meat to market.
- Self-starter, energizing, results-oriented, and able to multi-task.
- Must be forward-thinking and be able to lead and contribute to scientific/technical discussions.
- Ability to follow protocols, batch records and provide technical input.
- Strong decision-making and problem-solving skills with an interest to lead an expanding team.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Strong time-management and organizational skills.
- Demonstrate initiative and proactive approach.
- Have great attention to detail and the ability to keep detailed written records.
- Proficient both in oral and written communication (English).
The position is full-time and the candidate will be compensated similar to industry standards."