‘I want to work for a company with principles, not just profits’
Nestlé Research is based in Lausanne, Switzerland and employs approximately 800 people. It consists of four major research institutes: Health Sciences, Material Sciences, Food Safety & Analytical Sciences and Packaging Sciences. Nestlé Research combines fundamental science at the highest level, high-end analytical platforms leveraged by all research teams, and strong prototyping capabilities to accelerate the translation of science into innovation.
Nestlé Research published around 1,000 scientific publications in peer review journals over the last five years, and files about 80 patents every year. Nestlé Research collaborates with approximately 100 universities or research institutes around the world. Learn more about Nestlé Research at www.nestle.com/randd.
To support its strategy in the field of Food Safety, the Food Safety Research Department at the Nestlé Institute of Food Safety and Analytical Sciences is seeking a Senior Food Safety and Toxicology Scientist.
In this role, you will provide safety advice and expertise to Nestlé R&D and conduct food safety evaluations on chemical contaminants for Nestlé worldwide. You will bring a deep and strategic insight in risk assessment and toxicological sciences into the team and support the integration of novel alternative approaches such as computational and in vitro toxicology in order to facilitate food safety assessments in the absence of toxicological data and to speed up safety based decision making and risk management in R&D.
- Conduct safety assessments of novel ingredients and products (safety by design). Provide safety clearance for tasting and/or clinical efficacy studies
- Contribute safety related input to regulatory and GRAS dossiers. Plan, manage and interpret externally contracted regulatory toxicology studies and consultancy activities
- Provide safety assessments on various classes of chemicals to support chemical contaminant management of Nestlé units
- Develop strong internal and external networks in food safety and toxicology and manage internal and external stakeholders
- Develop, plan and ensure execution of relevant research programs in food toxicology and risk assessment
- Coach, support and develop junior scientists
- PhD in toxicology or related field including pharmacology, medicine, biology or biochemistry, with several years of postdoctoral research experience in relevant scientific areas
- Profound knowledge in standard toxicology and risk assessment of chemicals and biologically/ pharmacologically active materials (pharmaceuticals, functional foods, novel foods, supplements). Strong understanding of novel non-animal based alternative methods of toxicity testing.
- Significant experience and insight in toxicology in a context of industrial R&D. Ability to integrate into R&D projects and provide timely support to facilitate and speed up new product development through the application of safety by design principles
- Strength in fit for purpose communication in English, written and oral. Strong record of relevant publications and reports (first and senior author)
- Experience in developing, contributing and chairing international expert groups
What will really set you apart is your strong interdisciplinary collaboration and communication mindset and your capacity to work under pressure, inspiring trust and showing deep commitment and interest for consumer safety. You are courageous to speak out, defend opinions, coach, and give feedback. With your outstanding scientific and human leadership and enthusiasm for research and development, you target convincingly different audiences with diverse backgrounds.
If you are passionate about people, cultures and languages, if you like contacts and want to make a difference to our company’s performance, apply at www.nestle.com/jobs.
The Nestlé Group is the world’s largest food and beverage company with 91.4 billion Swiss Francs in sales in 2018. It is present in 190 countries around the world, has 413 factories and its 308,000 employees are committed to Nestlé’s purpose of enhancing quality of life and contributing to a healthier future. Nestlé offers a wide portfolio of products and services for people and their pets throughout their lives. Its more than 2000 brands range from global icons like Nescafé or Nespresso to local favourites. Company performance is driven by its Nutrition, Health and Wellness strategy. Nestlé is based in the Swiss town of Vevey where it was founded more than 150 years ago. Learn more about our Group and reasons to join us on www.nestle.com.