Precision Medicine Institute(PMI), established in 2017, explores the new frontier of precision medicine, offering optimal individualized treatment based on each patient’s genetic profile. It is led by Dr. Xiao Hai-peng, a Professor of Medicine and a renowned Chief Expert in Endocrinology field. Dr. Xiao currently also serves as the Vice President of Sun Yat-sen University (SYSU) and the President of First Affiliated Hospital, SYSU.
The PMI has five major research orientations:
2. Intestinal microecology;
3. Metabolic disease;
4. Brain science;
5. Regenerative medicine.
There are nine technical platforms in PMI, including stem cell research platform, immunology platform, biobank and medical big data platform, pathomorphism and imaging platform, experimental physiology platform, germ-free animal and microbiome platform, genomics platform, proteomics platform and metabolomics platform. For each platform, the PMI provides supporting equipments and instruments:
1. Stem cell research platform—Somicator, Ultrasonic Doppler blood flowmeter, Liver/kidney perfusion system, Smart plasma etc.
2. Immunology platform—Laser lightsheet microscopy, Laser scanning confocal microscop, Flow cytometer, Multiphoton confocal microscopy, Hyperion imaging system, Multiphoton confocal microscopy etc.
3. Biobank and medical big data platform—Automatic liquid nitrogen supply system, -180℃ Automatic liquid nitrogen storage system, Data storage &processing center (1P) etc.
4. Pathomorphism and imaging platform—Freezing microtome, SlideMate, Automatic dehydrator, Dyeing and sealing system, Automatic FISH system, Imaging scanner, Fluoroscope, Infrared laser imaging system etc.
5. Experimental physiology platform—Pressure myograph system, Laser speckle blood monitor, Live cell ion imaging system, Multifunction imager, Multi-mode microplate reader etc.
6. Germ-free animal and microbiome platform—In-vivo Micro CT, High resolution small animal ultrasound imaging system, Electric micromanipulation system, Anaerobic incubator, Lonza AMAXA lonza nucleofector, Electro transfection device etc.
7. Genomics platform—Laser microdissection and micromanipulation system, Automatic nucleic acid extractor, MassARRAY, Next-generation sequencer, Real-time QPCR, Protein nucleic acid spectrophotometer etc.
8. Proteomics platform—AKTA purifier, Luminex, Super centrifuge, Density gradient fractionation system, Microplate reader etc.
9. Metabolomics platform—Single molecule real-time sequencing system, Quadrupole LC/MS, Seahorse XFe96 etc.
A new campus of fifty-thousand square meters, including a Medical Research Center and an animal center, is currently under construction in NanSha District which is located in the center of Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area. Another area named Lau Luen Hung Research Center with 9 thousand square meters will be available in 2022.
Welcome to join us in the Precision Medicine Institute, The First Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat-sen University!
Professor/Associate Professor/Assistant Professor