The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) is a government-funded tertiary institution in Hong Kong. It offers programmes at various levels including Doctorate, Master’s, and Bachelor’s degrees. It has a full-time academic staff strength of around 1,400. The total annual consolidated expenditure budget of the University is in excess of HK$7.4 billion.
DEPARTMENT OF APPLIED PHYSICS
Assistant Professor in Materials Science (Ref. 20013101)
The Department of Applied Physics is recognised as one of the strongest academic departments in research within the University. In the past Research Assessment Exercise, the Department attained the highest proportion of world-leading research work in the University as well as the cost centre. It played an important role in the set up of the University Research Facility in Materials Characterization and Device Fabrication which comprises a Materials Research Centre, a Centre for Electron Microscopy, a Micro-/Nano-Device Fabrication and Sensing Technologies Laboratory, and a Cleanroom. The Department has a size of 24 full-time academic and teaching staff members, about 60 research/project personnel, 80 research postgraduate students, and 260 students in two academic programmes. The major research areas include nanomaterials, photonic materials and devices, smart materials and devices, and theoretical and computational physics. The Department is also actively considering a strategic move towards international excellence in materials science, photonics and nano science and technology. Please visit the website at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/ap for more information about the Department.
The appointee will be required to:
(1) teach Physics, Materials Science, and/or Optoelectronics courses up to postgraduate;
(2) supervise students in undertaking their undergraduate final year projects and postgraduate research theses;
(3) establish a vigorous programme of applied research in ultrafast laser spectroscopy, molecular beam epitaxy, scanning tunneling microscopy, density functional calculations, organic electronics and/or two-dimensional materials; and
(4) secure external competitive research grants, conduct academic research, publish in top-tier journals;
(5) undertake academic and departmental administrative duties;
(6) render professional service to the University, professional bodies and community, and support activities that promote or foster links with the industry and/or in the community;
(7) perform any other duties as assigned by the Head of Department or his delegates.
(1) have a PhD degree in Physics, Applied Physics, Materials Science or a related discipline;
(2) have relevant post-qualification experience and a good track record of research in one of the areas of ultrafast laser spectroscopy, molecular beam epitaxy, scanning tunneling microscopy, density functional calculations, organic electronics and/or two-dimensional materials; and
(3) demonstrate commitment to excellence in teaching and learning, and evidence of effective classroom teaching.
Remuneration and Conditions of Service
A highly competitive remuneration package will be offered. Initial appointment will be on a fixed-term gratuity-bearing contract. Re-engagement thereafter is subject to mutual agreement. For general information on terms and conditions for appointment of academic staff in the University, please visit the website at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/TC.htm. Applicants should state their current and expected salary in the application.
Please send a completed application form by post to Human Resources Office, 13/F, Li Ka Shing Tower, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong or via email to email@example.com. Application forms can be downloaded from http://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/job/en/guide_forms/forms.php. If a separate curriculum vitae is to be provided, please still complete the application form which will help speed up the recruitment process. The closing date for application is Tuesday, 31 March 2020. Applicants who are not invited to an interview within two months from the closing date should consider their applications unsuccessful. The University’s Personal Information Collection Statement for recruitment can be found at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/job/en/guide_forms/pics.php.
PolyU is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusivity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, ethnicity, nationality, family status or physical or mental disabilities.