Join a Team that Lives to Improve Lives
People come to Genentech from across disciplines and across the world to solve our most challenging medical conditions. You’ll find inspiration in our passion for biotechnology, our purpose to positively impact the lives of millions of patients and our dedication to our people. Joining Genentech means being part of a tradition of inquiry that will change the world. It means embracing our failures as much as our successes. It requires a willingness to look beyond the edge of what’s possible. And a focus on doing the day-to-day work that makes great science happen.
The following opportunity exists in our South San Francisco, CA headquarters:
Scientist/Sr. Scientist Bioinformatics, Next Generation Sequencing
We are seeking a talented and highly motivated computational scientist to join a world-class Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) group that provides a suite of genomic technologies to Genentech’s Research organization in support of drug discovery and development. Working in a highly collaborative environment the successful candidate will develop and apply bioinformatics approaches and tools to support NGS core group. The candidate will work in the high-throughput NGS lab and collaborate closely with wet-lab scientists in this group to support the development of cutting edge and rapidly evolving applications. The candidate is expected to play an active role leading the effort on experimental design, data analysis, interpretation and integration with other relevant biological knowledge. The work performed in this role will enable evaluation and implementation of state-of-the-art genomic technologies in support of Research, ultimately providing insights into the utility and contribution of these approaches to understanding diverse biological systems. Regular publication of scientific and methodological results is highly encouraged. The successful candidate should be able to effectively present complex results in a clear and concise manner to other computational scientists and to a broader scientific audience.
Who You Are
As a strong candidate, you will have:
• PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology, biostatistics, or similar, with post-doctoral experience and a strong publication record.
• Deep understanding of analytical approaches and tools for genomic data analysis plus familiarity with genome databases. Candidates with proven expertise in the analysis of NGS data generated on sequencing platforms such as Illumina, Oxford Nanopore, or 10x Genomics will be prioritized.
• Demonstrated understanding of the statistical principles, machine learning methods and current best practices in high-throughput sequencing data analysis.
• Strong experience in the use of a high-level programming language such as R (preferred) or Python for computational data analysis. Familiarity with Linux and high-performance computing environments.
• Exceptionally strong communication, data presentation and visualization skills.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, to manage multiple concurrent, fast-paced projects and to work with multidisciplinary teams.
A Job with Benefits Beyond the Benefits
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the “Apply online” button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
At Genentech, we share salary ranges with applicants during the recruiting process, if requested. Third party salary estimates may not be accurate or up-to-date.