AT ATHERSYS: Our people make the difference. We owe our success to the passionate, driven and growth-oriented people who have chosen to align their careers with our mission “Committed to developing therapies to extend and enhance the quality of human life.”
WE ARE SEEKING: A Scientist who is experienced, self-motivated, and resourceful. The successful candidate will have a deep understanding of cellular biology, monocyte/ macrophage biology and myeloid cell contribution to post-injury inflammatory processes. Extensive laboratory experience with the culture, functional characterization, and molecular profiling of immune cells is required. Experience with the biology of microglia and neuroinflammation is highly desirable. This position will report to the Associate Director of Regenerative Medicine. In this role, primary responsibilities will be to:
• Design and execute experiments to further characterize the mechanism of action and potency of MultiStem cell therapy;
• Establish protocols, execute experiments, critically analyze and interpret data and draw appropriate conclusions in a timely fashion;
• Interface with internal functional groups and external collaborators to advance several projects simultaneously;
• Supervise and mentor research associates or assistants; and
• Act as a knowledgeable resource to the department and the company.
WE ARE OFFERING: A competitive salary, generous benefit package including medical, dental, disability, life insurance, equity incentives and bonus structure which will be discussed with qualified candidates.
• PhD level immunology scientist with 3-5 years of post-doctoral or industry experience;
• Experience with flow cytometry;
• Experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry will be a plus;
• Hands-on experience in the design, execution and analysis of cell-based assays; and
• A record of scientific achievement demonstrated in high impact peer-reviewed publications.
• Possesses in-depth knowledge in area of immunology;
• A highly motivated, self-starter work ethic;
• Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills applied to both internal and external collaborations;
• Ability to work productively and collaboratively within a tight-knit team;
• Able to design complex experiments with strong scientific rationale;
• Able to critically analyze and interpret data and draw appropriate conclusions;
• Resourceful in overcoming challenges with strong problem-solving skills;
• Understands fundamental scientific problems and can apply knowledge to research and development projects and problems in a positive manner; and
• Demonstrates excellent attention to detail, accuracy, organization, and can deliver quality data with efficiency.
ATHERSYS, INC.: We are an international biotechnology company that is focused in the field of regenerative medicine. We are committed to developing therapeutic products that we believe have best-in-class potential, meaning therapies that have the potential to be safer and more effective than the current standard of care or other products in development, and that may have other advantages, such as superior scalability or ease of administration. Our MultiStem® cell therapy, a patented and proprietary allogeneic “off-the-shelf” stem cell product, is our lead platform product and has shown promise for treating indications in the neurological, inflammatory and immune, and cardiovascular disease areas, as well as certain other critical care conditions. MultiStem® is currently being evaluated in several clinical-stage programs. Our most advanced program is focused on the treatment of ischemic stroke, which is being evaluated in a registrational trial in Japan, and in a Phase 3 clinical trial primarily in North America and Europe under a Special Protocol Assessment, or SPA. Our clinical development programs are focused on treating neurological conditions, inflammatory and immune disorders, cardiovascular disease, certain pulmonary conditions and other conditions where the current standard of care is limited or inadequate for many patients. These represent major areas of clinical need, as well as substantial commercial opportunities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, religion, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.