The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
Within the upcoming ExaScale Project the department Environmental Informatics is looking for a
Subject: ExaScale Modelling of Multi-Field Earth System Processes
The future collaborator of the project will develop concepts and workflows to exploit the potential of future exascale supercomputers for terrestrial Earth system models.
Start at the earliest possible date; working time: 100% (39 hours per week), in subject to the budget confirmation limited to 2 years.
- Induction into the Open Source Simulation Software OpenGeoSys(www.opengeosys.org)
- Extending the InSitu Visualization Functionality of OpenGeoSys
- Evaluation of libraries for parallel file reading and file writing
- Conversion of parallel file reading and writing from OpenGeoSys for HPC systems
- Development of a simple GPU based prototypical solver for partial differential equations elliptic type
- Academic degree in Informatics, Physics or Mathematics
- Very good knowledge of programming language C++
- Knowledge of MPI / OpenMP is essential
- Knowledge of the programming language Python desirable
- Knowledge in the application of performance analysis tools
- Knowledge of GPU programming desirable
- Basic numerical knowledge in the method of finite elements desirable
- Excellent technical facilities which are without parallel
- The freedom you need to bridge the difficult gap between basic research and close to being ready for application
- Work in inter-disciplinary, multinational teams and excellent links with national and international research networks
- A vibrant region with a high quality of life and a wide cultural offering for a balance between family and professional life
- Interesting career opportunities and an extensive range of training and further education courses
- Remuneration up to the TVöD public-sector pay grade 13 including attractive public-sector social security benefits
The UFZ has a strong commitment to diversity and actively supports equal opportunities for all employees
regardless of their origin, religion, ideology, disability, age or sexual identity. We look forward to applications from people who are open-minded and enjoy working in diverse teams.
Your contact for any questions you may have about the job:
Dr. Thomas Fischer
Please submit your application via our online portal with your cover letter, CV (please omit
your photo, age, or marital status) and relevant attachments.
Closing date for applications:
Place of work: Leipzig