Join a Team that Lives to Improve Lives
People come to Genentech from across disciplines and across the world to solve our most challenging medical conditions. You’ll find inspiration in our passion for biotechnology, our purpose to positively impact the lives of millions of patients and our dedication to our people. Joining Genentech means being part of a tradition of inquiry that will change the world. It means embracing our failures as much as our successes. It requires a willingness to look beyond the edge of what’s possible. And a focus on doing the day-to-day work that makes great science happen.
The following opportunity exists in our South San Francisco, CA headquarters:
Scientist, Immunology Discovery
The department of Immunology Discovery conducts basic and translational research to enable new target discovery and preclinical drug development for inflammatory, autoimmune, fibrotic, and retinal disorders. We have access to unique resources including rich genetic, metagenomic, biomarker, and clinical outcome data from thousands of patients in interventional and observational clinical studies; state-of-the-art laboratory facilities; and dedicated collaborative support from core research functions including genetics, bioinformatics, pathology, in vitro and in vivo model systems, pharmacology, medicinal chemistry, antibody and protein engineering, structural biology, and proteomics.
We are seeking an outstanding early-career immunologist with a proven track record of conducting original research as evidenced by significant conceptual and/or technical advances and high-profile publications.
• Direct a research lab investigating mechanisms of inflammatory human diseases such as (but not limited to) asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, inflammatory bowel disease, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, systemic sclerosis, non-alcoholic steatohepatitis, type 1 diabetes mellitus, or inflammatory dermatoses.
• Lead drug discovery teams from target identification through IND filing by working collaboratively with colleagues on assay development, in vivo animal models, pathology, bioinformatics, genetics, biomarker discovery, antibody engineering, small molecule drug discovery, pharmacology, and safety.
• Build presence in external research community through publications and speaking engagements at conferences/academic institutions.
Who You Are
• PhD, MD, MD/PhD, or equivalent in immunology, inflammation, or related discipline
• At least 2 years postdoctoral experience
• Track record of first author publications in high-impact journals
• Experience researching topics including but not limited to: cytokine signaling, myeloid cell biology, lymphocyte biology, cell death, immune cell trafficking, host-microbiome interactions, resolution of inflammation, mechanisms of autoimmunity, neuroinflammation, systems biology, and/or related disciplines.
A Job with Benefits Beyond the Benefits
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the “Apply online” button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
At Genentech, we share salary ranges with applicants during the recruiting process, if requested. Third party salary estimates may not be accurate or up-to-date.