Area of research:
Accelerator on a chip is an advanced accelerator concept which aims at miniaturizing electron accelerators to the chip level to reduce costs and enables new applications in science and technology. The devices on chip are fully laser driven at high-repetition rates, allowing high-current with low bunch-charge. In this project, we develop novel ultrafast mid-infrared laser sources and demonstrate relativistic acceleration of electrons on a chip driven with mid-infrared radiation. A conventional electron accelerator will be employed as an injector for the proof of principle experiments. The project is third-part funded and conducted at the SINBAD-ARES facility in a highly collaborative environment including international partners, such as Stanford University, SLAC, UCLA in USA, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen in Germany and PSI in Switzerland. We are looking for a researcher to develop a novel mid-infrared laser system for electron acceleration in a dielectric laser accelerator. The researcher will collaborate with accelerator experts to run experiments on electron acceleration.
About your role:
- Advance ultrafast laser technology in mid-infrared spectral region consists of high-power, cryogenically-cooled laser amplifier system and optical parametric amplifiers
- Participate in an on-going accelerator on chip experiments
- Modify the existing experimental setup for acceleration
- Simulate electron acceleration on a chip and software development for machine control and data analysis
- Ph.D. degree in physics, electrical engineering or equivalent qualification
- Excellent knowledge of ultrafast laser technology and nonlinear optics
- Proven scientific track record in ultrafast optics
- Strang communication (English), collaboration, active listening and problem-solving skills in a diverse multinational group
- Knowledge in programming languages (MATLAB, Matematica, python, C++)
- Experience with particle accelerators is a plus
Look forward to a unique working environment on our international research campus. We attach particular importance to appreciative cooperation and the well-being of our DESY employees. Gender equality is an important aspect for us. To support work life balance we offer flexible working hours, variable part-time and job-sharing. You will benefit from our family-friendly and collegial atmosphere, our established health management and occupational pension provision. As a public funded employer, we offer you a secure workplace and facilitate your individual career with our comprehensive training and development opportunities. Remuneration is according to the regulations of the TV-AVH. DESY offers its employees a financial supplement for a job ticket at both locations.We look forward to receiving your application via our application portal:
DESY promotes the professional development of women and therefore strongly encourages women to apply for the position to be filled. In addition, severely handicapped persons with equal aptitude are given preferential consideration. The advertised positions are basically suitable for part-time employment.
You can find further information here: www.desy.de/career/
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Personalabteilung | Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
This research center is part of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers. With more than 42,000 employees and an annual budget of over € 5 billion, the Helmholtz Association is Germany’s largest scientific organisation.