Join a Team that Lives to Improve Lives
People come to Genentech from across disciplines and across the world to solve our most challenging medical conditions. You’ll find inspiration in our passion for biotechnology, our purpose to positively impact the lives of millions of patients and our dedication to our people. Joining Genentech means being part of a tradition of inquiry that will change the world. It means embracing our failures as much as our successes. It requires a willingness to look beyond the edge of what’s possible. And a focus on doing the day-to-day work that makes great science happen.
The following opportunity exists in our South San Francisco, CA headquarters:
Scientist, Early Discovery Biochemistry – Peptide Discovery, Protein Engineering, Biochemistry
An opportunity for a creative, talented and highly motivated Scientist is available in the Department of Early Discovery Biochemistry. The successful candidate will join a dynamic group pursuing cutting-edge research in peptide drug discovery and development, and will interface with diverse therapeutic functions across Genentech including oncology, ophthalmology and immunology. The successful candidate is expected to contribute to the discovery of peptides of therapeutic interest to modulate protein – protein interactions and understand their mechanism of action by biochemical, biophysical and structural biology methods. They will also contribute to the research and development of cutting-edge peptide discovery platform technologies to enable the identification of new leads to support the Genentech pipeline. Working with display technology experts, the individual will be expected to implement robust screening or selection methods coupled with next generation sequencing data analysis workflows as well as structural understanding to engineer peptides with specific cellular functions.
The candidate is also expected to contribute at a strategic level in order to support our peptide therapeutics discovery programs for the selection and advancement of lead molecules. This hire will help define important therapeutic problems, and ultimately drive innovation to solve them including conceiving, planning and designing discovery strategies, and working collaboratively with other cross-functional research groups to advance pipeline projects. The candidate is expected to present their findings to project teams and senior management.
Who You Are
• Ph.D. in biochemistry, chemistry or related discipline with at least 3 years of relevant post-doctoral or industry experience
• Self-driven and highly motivated with a passion for discovery and innovation
• Deep knowledge and hands on experience with peptides, protein engineering concepts, biophysics, structural biology and molecular biology
• Experience in display technologies (phage, yeast or mRNA) and tissue culture is highly desirable.
• Familiarity with peptide or small molecule lead profiling through candidate nomination would be advantageous
• Ability to prioritize effectively to deliver results within reasonably established timelines
• Team-oriented, collegial, and strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Rigorous, quantitative methods, persistence, flexibility and multitasking
• Sustained record of productivity and substantive scientific contributions as evidenced by high-impact publications, patent inventorship, and/or external presentations.
A Job with Benefits Beyond the Benefits
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the “Apply online” button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
At Genentech, we share salary ranges with applicants during the recruiting process, if requested. Third party salary estimates may not be accurate or up-to-date.