Join a Team that Lives to Improve Lives
People come to Genentech from across disciplines and across the world to solve our most challenging medical conditions. You’ll find inspiration in our passion for biotechnology, our purpose to positively impact the lives of millions of patients and our dedication to our people. Joining Genentech means being part of a tradition of inquiry that will change the world. It means embracing our failures as much as our successes. It requires a willingness to look beyond the edge of what’s possible. And a focus on doing the day-to-day work that makes great science happen.
The following opportunity exists in our South San Francisco, CA headquarters:
Scientist (Bioinformatics), Human Genetics
Genentech is inviting applications for a Statistical Geneticist to be appointed as a Scientist in the Department of Human Genetics, responsible for identifying novel therapeutic targets and biomarkers from the investigation of human genetic variation. Responsibilities will include:
• Evaluation and development of cutting-edge techniques in the area of Statistical Genetics.
• Examples include new methods for association testing, integration of GWAS summary results with other types of data e.g. eQTL, functional genomic annotations, gene networks, estimation/partitioning of heritability, Mendelian Randomization to understand causal direction, and fine mapping.
• Collaborating with experimental, clinical and bioinformatics scientists to inform the design of studies for target and biomarker discovery
• Designing and executing targeted analyses to uncover novel therapeutic targets and biomarkers of disease heterogeneity, progression, and treatment response
• Maintenance of an excellent publication record
• Regular presentation at internal and external meetings to audiences of diverse scientific backgrounds
• Initiation of and participation in strategic external collaborations in pursuit of these goals
Genentech is committed to the development and delivery of precision medicines, which take individual variation as well as diagnosis into account in the delivery of health care. Because genetic makeup is a major component of individual variation, the work of the Human Genetics Department is a central pillar for achieving our vision of modern medicine, and the scientists in the Department are key contributors to making this happen. Diseases of interest to Genentech include chronic inflammatory, neuro-degenerative, oncologic, and metabolic disorders; the successful applicant will concentrate on a subset of these disorders in order to insure focus and continuity. Genentech provides an exceptional research environment composed of internationally recognized scientific leaders, as well as state of the art core facilities with cutting edge technologies and computational resources to support your research activities. We provide a highly collaborative community, and as such, you will interact closely with clinical development teams and other scientists in the areas of biomarkers, bioinformatics, and research discovery departments including Immunology, Neuroscience, Infectious Diseases, Cancer Immunotherapy, and Molecular Oncology.
Who You Are
Qualified candidates will meet the following requirements:
• PhD with postdoctoral experience in the field of Statistical Genetics
• Substantial experience in methods development
• Strong computational skills including experience in management and analysis of large-scale data, proficiency in high-level programming languages and statistical computing
• Excellent record of scientific publications in top tier journals
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to present and explain findings to a diverse audience
• Highly motivated and demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative environment
A Job with Benefits Beyond the Benefits
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the “Apply online” button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
At Genentech, we share salary ranges with applicants during the recruiting process, if requested. Third party salary estimates may not be accurate or up-to-date.