Job Title: Scientific Software Developer (Ref SD/1119)
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Cambridge, UK
Astex Pharmaceuticals is a world leader in innovative drug discovery and development. The company has successfully applied its proprietary Fragment-Based Drug Discovery platform to generate multiple new drug candidates that are progressing in clinical development. Successful collaborations have led to two launched oncology drugs (Kisqali® partnered with Novartis and BalversaTM partnered with Janssen). Astex continues to grow and focuses on Oncology and Neurological Disorders.
CURIOSITY, CREATIVITY AND INNOVATIVE SCIENCE FOR DRUG DISCOVERY
…UNLOCK YOUR POTENTIAL
Astex have a strong culture of developing bespoke software to support our fragment-based drug discovery platform. The role offers a range of opportunities to develop scientific software in the structure-based drug design (SBDD) and cheminformatics areas, using state-of-the art technologies including the application of modern machine learning methods. The ideal candidate will be a computational chemist or biologist with an aptitude for software development, or a computer scientist with experience of working in a chemistry and/or structural biology related discipline. The applicant will have a keen interest in developing web applications.
• Design and develop bespoke SBDD and cheminformatics web applications
• Keep abreast of the latest technologies to identify new opportunities
• Promote close interactions across multidisciplinary groups
• Collaborate with scientists throughout the company to develop cutting edge software tools
• Provide informatics support for drug discovery programs
Preferred Skills and Experience Profile
• Degree in chemistry, biology, computer science or related field
• Proven software development experience working in industry or an equivalent academic setting
• Excellent team working, written and verbal communication skills
• Expert knowledge in Python
• The following additional expertise/skills would be beneficial
o Experience with relational databases e.g. Oracle, MySQL
o Experience with full stack web development
We offer excellent training and career development opportunities as well as a highly competitive salary and benefits package.
Closing Date: 3rd January 2020
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter quoting the job reference: SD/1119 to HR.UK@astx.com