About the team/job
We have an exciting opportunity for a talented, experienced and highly motivated scientist to join the Strategic Partnership Office at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located at the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
EMBL-EBI provides open access biological data to the global scientific community. We are at the heart of data exchange in Europe, and represent one of the highest concentrations of expertise in molecular data storage, analysis, representation, and research in the world.
The Strategic Partnership Office is responsible for overall strategy development, planning and partnership activities within EMBL-EBI. This includes handling strategic data and information flows at EMBL-EBI as well as development of research-related activities with industry including delivery of EMBL-EBI’s Industry Programme. The office works closely with senior management to generate portfolio information and analyses needed for decision-making and scientific management of EMBL-EBI data resources and services.
Together with the Head of EMBL-EBI Strategic Partnership Office and others, the Scientific Services Officer will contribute to the broader strategic overview of the institute, and of the international bioinformatics landscape. This high-profile role entails significant interaction with people throughout the organisation, and participation in diverse activities with collaborators locally and internationally.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- In collaboration with the relevant groups at EMBL-EBI, draft responses to institutional responses to requests from governments, funding agencies, societies and collaborating institutions for information and analysis
- Participate in drafting and regular updates of internal strategy, polices and process documents
- Coordinate the annual user survey and produce analytics of the outcomes
- Collaborate with other EMBL-EBI teams to produce institutional publications and presentations such as the annual scientific report; provide support for capital funding applications and development of business cases
- In conjunction with the team members, analyse usage statistics for EMBL-EBI’s data resources and generate insights to support decisions on program initiation and progression, resource allocation, internal funding, and strategy
- Support the management of projects within EMBL-EBI, frame issues, problem-solve (both creatively and analytically), synthesise analyses and present findings.
- Act as a representative on local, national, and international working groups
- Organise strategic and scientific events on behalf of EMBL-EBI service and research teams
Overall, you will manage a continuous portfolio of activities relating to the above and be expected to interact with a significant number of stakeholders and key opinion leaders within EMBL-EBI, other EMBL sites and EMBL-EBI collaborators. It is important that you are a credible representative of EMBL-EBI within the broader scientific community as well as the local campus environment and can represent the views of EMBL-EBI.
This role involves some travel to various parts of the UK and abroad.
The successful applicant will be a science graduate with a working knowledge of bioinformatics and biological data-management. Further, (s)he must have the personal skills necessary for this highly interactive role, which provides an opportunity to engage with leadership as well as communicate equally well with software developers and researchers as well as colleagues working in administration, project management and communications. The post holder must also have excellent analytical and communication skills and enjoy working in an international environment.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Ph.D. (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline and some post-doctoral experience
- Some knowledge of bioinformatics resources and tools, preferably those hosted by the EMBL-EBI
- Intellectually curious with excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to proactively identify issues/trends and solutions
- Self-starter with high level of accountability and initiative and a passion for science and bioinformatics
- Outstanding analytical and oral/written communication skills
- Strong organisational skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, manage priorities and work under pressure.
You might also have
Although not essential, the ideal applicant might also have:
- Some scientific project management principles and techniques
- Some experience with working in large collaborative bioinformatics projects
Why join us
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 22 member states and two associate member states. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation. For more information about pay and benefits click here
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
What else you need to know
To view a copy of the full job description please click here
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities and this will continue after Brexit. For more information please see our website. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.