The German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment (BfR) is the national institute which prepares expert reports and opinions on questions concerning the safety of food, feed and chemicals, as well as consumer health protection, on the basis of internationally recognised scientific evaluation criteria. It advises the Federal Government and other institutions and interest groups in these areas. The BfR conducts its own research on topics that are closely linked to its assessment tasks. It is an institution with legal capacity within the portfolio of the Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture (BMEL).
The following permanent position is to be filled with immediate effect in the Chemicals and Product Safety department at the BfR in the “Product Analytics” unit:
Scientific Officer (m/f/d)
Reference number: 2255/2019 | Salary group 13 TVöD
The position involves 50% of regular weekly working hours (currently 19.50 hrs).
The national reference laboratory for material intended to come into contact with foodstuffs in line with Reg. (EU) No. 2017/625 is attached to the department. Within its legal remit, analysis methods for determining substances which migrate from consumer products used with food are developed and interlaboratory comparisons organised.
The individual duties are as follows:
• Build-up and maintenance of the laboratory information and management software (LIMS) and collaboration in the digitalisation of the national reference laboratory
• Scientific conception and accompaniment of national and international ring trials, statistical evaluation of the submitted results and punctual reporting
• Independent execution of the analytics of substances from consumer products used with food by means of large pieces of equipment such as LC-MS, LC-MS/MS, GC-MS and GC-MS/MS
• Drafting of publications for scientific journals, and of presentations and posters for national and international conferences
• Independent organisation of the processing of samples and supervision of technical personnel
• Statistical evaluation and assessment of test results and punctual reporting
• University degree (master’s, diploma or comparable university degree) in Food Chemistry, Chemistry or comparable subject, doctorate preferred
• Several years of professional experience in the field of analytical chemistry is a prerequisite
• Practical experience of the use of laboratory information and management software (LIMS) preferred
• Relevant experience of accreditation and quality management in analytical-chemical laboratories
• Very good specialised knowledge in the field of food analytics
• Relevant practical knowledge of the validation of analysis methods by means of LC-MS, LC-MS/MS, GC-MS or GC-MS/MS preferred
• Experience in the drafting of scientific reports and publication of research results
• Very good written and spoken English
• Good computer literacy (especially in Word, Excel and PowerPoint) as well as a conscientious work approach, flexibility, ability to work in a team and the ability to cope with pressure are prerequisites
The place of work is Berlin.
Does this offer appeal to you?
If so, then please submit your application via our online system by 24 May 2019.
If you have any questions regarding the application procedure, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Please do not send any applications to this e-mail address –
If you are unable to submit your application online, you have the option of sending it by standard mail, stating the relevant reference number:
Bundesinstitut für Risikobewertung
Personalreferat – 11.17 –
Please direct any questions on the scope of duties to:
Prof. Dr. Dr. Luch Tel.: 030 18412-27000
Dr. Kappenstein Tel.: 030 18412-27406
Dr. Roloff Tel.: 030 18412-27319
The BfR welcomes applications from people of all nationalities.
As an innovative scientific institution, the BfR offers family-friendly working conditions for which it was awarded the “audit berufundfamilie®” (work and family) certificate. The BfR guarantees equal career opportunities for women and men. In the case of equal suitability, severely disabled applicants will be given preferential consideration and are only required to have a minimum level of physical suitability.
This text version is a translation of the original German text which is the only legally binding version.