The Swedish node of the Nordic EMBL Partnership for Molecular Medicine is looking for a Scientific Manager to provide strategic and operational management
Molecular Infection Medicine Swede (MIMS)
Our mission is to foster research excellence in infection medicine and to develop the careers of the next generation of researchers in this area. Through our partnership with the European Molecular Biology Laboratories (EMBL) and a strong network of Nordic partners, we link Swedish science to an expanding family of European centres of research excellence in molecular medicine.
The position and tasks
We are now looking for a Project Coordinator in the role of a Scientific Manager to provide strategic and operational management to MIMS. The scientific manager will work closely with the MIMS leadership in setting and implementing the overall scientific strategy, establishing and managing external scientific partnerships, and overseeing internal projects. You will create an environment conducive to new research ideas and collaborations by planning and executing conferences and workshops for our scientists and their growing network of national and international partners. You will support research initiatives, drive fund raising and manage our external review and refunding process. You will use your scientific and administrative knowledge to provide a first contact point for scientific and administrative partners across our network. Additional activities may range from developing a shared postdoctoral program for our partnership to initiating capacity building with developing countries. You will also oversee the communication of our research internally and externally.
The position is a permanent position on full time and the expected start is March 2020 or as otherwise agreed. The funding for the employment is guaranteed for three years within the current funding period for MIMS. A six month probation period may be applied.
To promote cooperation effectively, you will need to be able to communicate with our scientists on equal terms. Some personal experience in experimental research is thus required. You will need a thorough understanding of the work processes in research but also of related administrative matters. We are looking for an individual with at least five years of experience in a life science. Regardless of whether your experience is mostly in research or management, you will have a strong record of success, as evidenced for instance by leading roles in peer reviewed publications, a PhD degree in a natural science, contribution in raising major funding or contribution in implementation of internationally collaborative projects. You have great organizational talent with an eye for the bigger picture.
Furthermore, we are looking for an individual with:
- A broad and deep interest in biomedicine and the research process.
- A strong ability to produce scientific and strategic texts.
- The ability to communicate clearly in English, orally and in writing.
- An ability to take a broader view and to think strategically.
- A well-developed ability to manage in all directions.
- An ability to familiarize oneself quickly with new areas relevant to infection medicine.
Other desirable qualifications
A track record in scientific management is not essential but would be an advantage, as would be a proven business sense.
You apply through our recruitment system. Log into the system and apply via the button at the bottom of the webpage. Deadline for application is currently 2020-01-15 but the position will remain open until filled.
The application shall be written in English (preferably) or Swedish. The application should include:
- A personal cover letter explaining why you are interested in the position and how you fulfil the essential and desirable qualifications (no more than two A4 pages).
- A curriculum vitae that documents academic education and current and previous employments, including a list of any publications.
- Names and contact details with e-mail addresses of two to three references.
- Other relevant documentation you wish to include in support of your application.