The Scientific Leader will lead a scientific team that performs a wide range of NGS-based genomics and epigenomics experiments.
They will set the strategy for future development and implementation of novel technologies with maximum impact on pipeline progression from target validation to biomarker discovery. At the same time, they will ensure that relevant procedures and protocols are standardized and can be transferred to other internal or external groups. The team collaborates closely with scientists from different disciplines in functional genomics and research units and members of the group can lead matrix teams.
The Scientific Leader will instill scientific rigor and an innovation mindset in the group and will develop team members to achieve maximum impact on the business.
- Lead the UP-Genomics Group and provide strategic direction
- Develop and implement novel capabilities in NGS-based technologies, especially but not limited to, single cell techniques
- Ensure high NGS-data quality generation
- Work in close collaboration with FxG Computational Biology to evaluate and establish data flows and to ensure alignment of data generation and analysis
- Work closely with other FxG groups to characterize disease-relevant cellular assays and run functional screens with genomics readouts
- Work closely with Research Unit Teams to conceive, design and execute high quality genomics experiments
- Proactively leverage external innovation, adapt and utilize internally, if warranted
- Operationalize a culture of single point decision making, accountability, scientific excellence and the development of outstanding people.
- Ensure quality and transparency in all work.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD in Life and Physical Sciences, cell and molecular biology, genetics and genomics or related discipline
- Deep knowledge and experience with genomics epigenomics and transcriptomics technologies
- 3 years of post-PhD experience in genomics
- Knowledge and experience with single cell Omics (e.g. scRNAseq, scATACseq, scDNAseq)
- Data analysis skills
- Previous experience managing others directly or in a matrix environment
- Scientific track record of credibility in the development and application of genomics technologies to target and biomarker discovery, or systems biology
- Track record of scientific accomplishment documented by publication or patents
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Experience in the biopharmaceutical industry; knowledge and understanding of the process of drug discovery will be of advantage
- Demonstrated capability of applying critical thinking to issues and then driving them to an appropriate resolution
- Ability to identify innovative external opportunities
- Ability to expand thinking through curiosity, critical elaboration and questioning
- Ability to assimilate, retain, digest and make connections across large amounts of complex issues and written materials
- Ability to communicate complex ideas and information in clear and simple terms
- Personal energy and resilience
- Ability to build strong relationships across stakeholders
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action – a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.