Janelia Research Campus is a pioneering research center in Ashburn, VA, where scientists pursue biology’s most challenging problems in a uniquely innovative and collaborative atmosphere. The programs within Janelia’s Science and Training Department complement our scientific research by enriching the intellectual environment and providing opportunities for collaboration. Our team is responsible for running scientific conferences and seminars, supporting visiting scientist projects, and the recruitment and training of laboratory heads, postdocs and students. We work closely with our scientists, operational staff and external visitors to advance Janelia’s mission of doing transformative science.
Under the supervision of the Director of Scientific Programs, the Science Program Coordinator (“Coordinator”) will provide support to a number of scientific programs, with particular emphasis on Student and Postdoctoral Training programs. The Coordinator will manage all administrative aspects of program coordination, including, but not limited to: calendaring, communicating with scientific and operational teams, arranging visits, organizing and overseeing meetings and events, internal and external advertising, and collecting, tracking and analyzing programmatic data. The Coordinator will serve as the liaison for students and postdoctoral fellows and is responsible for maintaining program-specific databases and internal systems. The Coordinator will be cross-trained in order to support other programs within the Science & Training Department, as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as an administrative assistant to the Senior Director of Scientific Programs as well as the Director of Student and Postdoctoral Training Programs
- Handles calendaring, travel arrangements, purchases, reimbursements and other administrative tasks
- Serves as a liaison between the Science & Training department and many other Janelia departments and individuals
- Serves as a point of contact for students and postdoctoral fellows and responds accordingly to inquiries
- Serves as liaison for inquiries from other institutional departments (i.e. outside Janelia) and responds accurately, timely and effectively to those inquiries or forwards them as appropriate
- Schedules meetings, events, seminars,and workshops
- Regularly updates departmental and institutional calendars with internal and external event information
- Assembles conference and workshop materials
- Creates surveys, collects data and analyzes feedback
- Creates and regularly updates the content of the student and postdoc web pages on Janelia.org
- Collects information from, and communicates key details to, students and postdocs
- Interfaces with other Janelia departments on detailed arrangements for various events; ensures that all logistics are executed optimally
- Obtains cross-functional skills so as to be able to fill in for other departmental coordinators, as needed
- Other duties, as assigned, including assisting with special projects and initiatives for evaluating and improving the conference and seminar programs
- This position does not supervise any employees
- This position does not manage a budget
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- M.S. or Ph.D. beneficial
- Experience working in a scientific environment is preferred
- Experience in planning conferences/events is preferred
Skills and Abilities:
- Works well independently, with minimal supervision; functions proactively and resourcefully
- Strong interpersonal skills; collaboratively engages with people inside and outside of the team
- Excellent organizational skills with keen attention to detail, accuracy and follow-through
- Cooperative, self-motivated, flexible, patient, and able to solve problems; actively seeks opportunities to increase skills and expertise
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; comfortable communicating with scientists at all levels
- Exhibits discretion and good judgement in all aspects of the job
- Confidently handles multiple concurrent tasks/projects under tight deadlines
- Creates and adjusts priorities frequently depending on the needs of the programs
- Understands of the goals of each scientific program and its importance to the Institute
- Demonstrates sense of urgency, initiative, creativity, and an enthusiasm for our mission
- Comfortable using common social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook
- Comfortable assisting with web page updates
- Proficient with MS Office applications and familiarity with researching information on the Internet. Experience with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator is helpful.
Applications without cover letters will not be reviewed.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.