You will develop a novel in-situ infrared (IR) spectrometer at the small-angle neutron scattering (SANS) instruments operated by the Jülich Centre for Neutron Science (JCNS) in order to monitor the structural changes of proteins by a combination of neutron scattering and infrared absorption on the very same sample. The formation of amyloid fibrils shall be investigated playing a key role in diseases like Alzheimer.
· Development of a novel IR spectrometer based on Quantum Cascade Lasers which are a promising new infrared light source with a huge potential for many applications.
· Sample characterization by CD-spectroscopy, UV-visible and IR spectroscopy.
· Performing neutron scattering experiments at the JCNS in Garching and elsewhere.
· Presentation of your results at conferences and publication of scientific articles.
· Interdisciplinary teamwork and supervision of Bachelor and Master students.
Your Profile :
· Master degree or PhD (or comparable) in Physics or Chemistry.
· Knowledge of scattering techniques is not required but would be a plus.
· Knowledge in IR spectroscopy and designing optical set-ups would be a plus.
· Experience with computer programming for data analysis (python or similar) is advantageous.
· Good communication skills in English are a requirement.
· Cooperative and structured working style and passion for science and new ideas.
Who we are:
The project is performed by the AG Biophysik at RWTH Aachen in close collaboration with the Jülich Centre for Neutron Science (JCNS) in Garching. The successful candidate will be employed at the RWTH Aachen, but the place of work will be Garching, nearby Munich.
The AG Biophysik aims to establish a fundamental, physics-based understanding of the function of bio-macromolecular systems, especially proteins and (protein based) macromolecular complexes, also within in their cellular context. (https://tinyurl.com/BiophysikRWTH). The JCNS is operating a suite of high performance neutron scattering instruments at the FRM II in Garching (www.fz-juelich.de/jcns).
Depending on your qualification you will join the project either as a PostDoc or PhD student. The application dead line is the 22.03.2020. For further information regarding salary and employment conditions as well as the application procedure please follow the links below:
RWTH Aachen University is certified as a “Family-Friendly University” and an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates regardless of gender. We particularly welcome and encourage applications from women, disabled persons and ethnic minority groups.