The National Food Institute (DTU Food) at the Technical University of Denmark invites applications for a position as research scientist in the Research Group on Bioactives – Analysis and Application. One of the focus areas of the group is development of strategies to protect foods against lipid oxidation. The group has a dynamic staff with high international visibility, many research collaborations with leading international universities and organisations and a successful track record of national and international research projects.
The research field concerns lipid oxidation in foods and the use of advanced technologies such as neutron and x-ray scattering techniques to understand the relationship between the structure of foods and their oxidative and physical stability with particular emphasis on emulsions.
The position as a researcher is a permanent entry-level position.
Responsibilities and tasks
The most advanced neutron and x-ray scattering facilities in world are currently under construction in Lund. DTU Food is building up competencies to make us ready for using these facilities for food science. If you are interested in helping us with this, then perhaps you are our new Research Scientist
- You will study interfaces and colloidal structures in food emulsions using x-ray and neutron scattering techniques
- You will evaluate how different ingredients including emulsifiers and antioxidants affect physical structure and their physical and oxidative stability
- You will contribute to further development of the research field of the group and particularly engage in development of our competencies in x-ray and neutron scattering techniques
- You will engage in teaching, innovation and advisory activities in relation to food technology and food chemistry in a broad sense. Teaching activities will include supervision of student projects.
- You will engage in collaboration with industry and authorities.
Candidates must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent) in food science and technology.
- You must have documented research experience in the field of lipid oxidation and physical stability
- You should have some experience with x-ray and neutron scattering techniques
- You must have experience with GC-MS and HPLC
- You must have good communication skills both in oral and written English
Flexibility and self-motivation are desired skills at DTU. In addition, we expect you to be a team player and interested in collaboration internally and externally.
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to
- Research experience
- Research vision and potential
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Societal impact
- Documented innovation activities, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- International experience
- Internal and external collaboration
- Communication skills
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
The position as a researcher is a permanent entry-level position. After a maximum of 4 years, a researcher can be promoted to a senior researcher position after assessment.
More information can be found here: Career paths at DTU.
Further information may be obtained from Professor Charlotte Jacobsen, email@example.com, tel.: +45 23 27 90 75 and Head of Division Henning Høgh Jensen, firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can read more about DTU Food at www.food.dtu.dk
Please submit your online application no later than 21 November 2019 (local time).
Apply at www.career.dtu.dk
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link “Apply online”, fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Teaching and research statement, with a focus on the “Assessment” bullets points listed above
- Documentation of previous teaching and research, as related to the “Assessment” bullet points listed above
- List of publications
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
Applications and enclosures that is not submitted through the online system or received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Technology for people
DTU develops technology for people. With our international elite research and study programmes, we are helping to create a better world and to solve the global challenges formulated in the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Hans Christian Ørsted founded DTU in 1829 with a clear vision to develop and create value using science and engineering to benefit society. That vision lives on today. DTU has 11,500 students and 6,000 employees. We work in an international atmosphere and have an inclusive, evolving, and informal working environment. Our main campus is in Kgs. Lyngby north of Copenhagen and we have campuses in Roskilde and Ballerup.