STARTING NOW, THE FRAUNHOFER INSTITUTE OFFERS YOU AN EXCITING JOB OPPORTUNITY AS A:
RESEARCHER* – EXPERIMENTAL QUANTUM OPTICS AND QUANTUM INFORMATION PROCESSING
Fraunhofer is Europe’s largest application-oriented research organization. Our research efforts are geared entirely to people’s needs: health, security, communication, energy and the environment. As a result, the work undertaken by our researchers and developers has a significant impact on people’s lives. We are creative. We shape technology. We design products. We improve methods and techniques. We open up new vistas.
The Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Optics and Precision Engineering (IOF) in Jena conducts applied research in optical system technology on behalf of the industry and as part of publicly funded joint projects. The range of services offered by the Fraunhofer IOF includes system solutions – from new design concepts and the development of technologies, manufacturing and measuring methods, to the construction of prototypes and pilot series for applications in the wavelength range from millimeter to nanometer.
The Fraunhofer IOF is also pioneering applied optical quantum technology research and offers innovative solutions for science and industry wherever quantum systems have the potential for revolutionary applications.
For the Department of Emerging Technologies we are seeking highly motivated Postdoc candidates to join the »Quantum Communication Technologies« group. Research in the group focuses on applied quantum technologies – from methods for generating, manipulating, processing, and transmitting quantum states of light, to system-level applications in high-dimensional quantum communication and remote quantum sensing. Our goal is to transfer quantum technologies from the laboratory to practical applications in fiber networks and long-distance satellite links.
We are seeking a researcher* with a strong background in quantum optics / information science to provide theory and modelling support for the analysis of quantum communication and remote sensing protocols in presence of noise and optical attenuation.
Participation in ongoing experimental research projects:
- Continuously Variable Quantum Optics & Quantum Sensing
- High-dimensional Quantum Information Processing
- Multipartite Quantum Communication Networks
Your field of work includes the following activities:
- Develop protocols, models, and software for quantum communication and remote sensing
- Study the feasibility of experiments and applications in presence of noise and loss
- Support in the definition and acquisition of research projects
Your convincing profile
With a PhD (or equivalent) in Physics or a closely related field, the successful candidate should have prior research experience in quantum physics, preferably quantum optics, quantum communication, or quantum sensing / metrology.
Candidates must have excellent communication skills, the ability to keep clear records, to work independently and take responsibility in an active team. An ability to prepare scientific publications and present results at local, national and international research meetings is expected.
You should have expertise in any of the following topics:
- Continously variable quantum optics
- Photonic quantum information processing
- Multipartite and high-dimensional entanglement
- Cluster state quantum computing
- Quantum sensing, quantum parameter estimation
- Quantum cryptography, quantum random number generation
- entangled photon generation and quantum state engineering
Ideally, you have sound programming and/or scientific computing skills, e.g. in Python.
What to expect
- Personal and professional development opportunities in challenging and practical R&D projects
- Networking with first-class industrial partners and research groups
- Cooperation in a collegial, open-minded team in a well-equipped work environment
Appointment, remuneration and social security benefits based on the public-sector collective wage agreement (TVöD).
The position is initially limited to 2 years.
The working time consists of 39 hours per week.
This vacancy is also available on a part-time basis.
In case of identical qualifications preference will be given to severely disabled candidates.
We would like to point out that the chosen job title also includes the third gender.
The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft emphasizes gender-independent professional equality.
Please submit your online application until September 30th, 2020:
Further details can be found here:
Job reference: IOF-2020-40