About the team/job
EMBL is looking for a Research Technician for the massively parallel sequencing (MPS) team in Genomics Core Facility (GeneCore) at its main Laboratory in Heidelberg to support the EMBL research community in numerous applications of this high-end technology.
- Complete experimental handling (manual and automated) of samples submitted for processing to GeneCore (quality control of the incoming samples, complete preparation of sequencing libraries for various applications).
- Optimisation of MPS protocols as well as implementation of new methods.
- Operation of MPS sequencers including advanced sequencing technologies, such as nanopore sequencing, for example.
- Management of the inventory of components required for individual steps of the MPS workflows.
- Precise documentation of sample related data through the laboratory information management system (LIMS) required by high sample number submitted by GeneCore users.
- Organizational and technical assistance within the lab, as well as frequent interaction with GeneCore users to communicate MPS principles, troubleshoot and to report on the outcome.
- Candidate’s good social and communication skills will help supporting visiting scientists during their time in GeneCore.
- Participation in the primary analysis of sequencing data is possible but depends upon computational skills of the selected candidate.
The ideal applicant has an appropriate university degree (Masters or Bachelor degree or equivalent), or alternatively, technical school training as a technician. Extensive prior experience in molecular biology or genomics and practical knowledge of MPS technology, related instrumentation and their operation are essential.
The post holder should be able to enjoy working in a service team in a highly collaborative environment. Strong organizational, problem solving, and communication skills along with the ability to interact with GeneCore users in English and to work in an international team are essential.
You might also have
Expertise with Windows OS is necessary and basic skills with the LINUX/UNIX operating system as well as familiarity with processing of large-scale genomics datasets will be an advantage.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises from a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family and the availability of an excellent child care facility on campus.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1600 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Interviews are planned for the second half of June.