Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world. Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S.
The Kruglyak Lab at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) works toward understanding how changes at the level of DNA are shaped by molecular and evolutionary forces and how these changes lead to the observable differences among individuals in a species. There is an exciting opportunity for a Research Technician II to join the team in the lab, supporting ongoing projects in yeast genetics and C. elegans genetics. This role will perform research using genetics, genomics, and molecular biology techniques. This position will require a driven, creative individual who is willing to tackle novel challenges and continually work towards process improvement. Ideal candidates will be incredibly organized and have a strong desire to support the research of the lab.
Representative Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform genetics, genomics, and molecular biology experiments
- Assist with plasmid preparation, molecular cloning and DNA sequencing techniques
- Perform sterile techniques; maintain, propagate, and analyze yeast and nematode strains
- Order supplies and equipment necessary for lab research duties, and unpack and organize delivered equipment and supplies
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in health or physical sciences required, with emphasis in genetics, biology, molecular biology, or biochemistry
- Master’s degree a strong plus
- At least 2-4 years of post-graduate experience working in genetics or molecular biology lab
- Experience in genetic techniques, molecular biology techniques, working with yeast and C. elegans
- Experience in DNA sequencing and other high-throughput assays
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Strong computer skills
- Highly self motivated and able to work in a diverse laboratory environment
- Able to interact well with others and work as part of a team
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.