About the team/job
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organizations in the world. The newest EMBL site is being established in the Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB), one of the largest infrastructures in Southern Europe dedicated to translational research.
We are seeking to recruit a research technician to work in the laboratory of Dr. Kristina Haase at EMBL Barcelona, whose laboratory will focus on developing novel 3D vascularised in vitro tissues for disease modelling, drug development, and regenerative medicine.
The successful candidate will be responsible for providing technical support for all projects running in the laboratory, as well as general lab management. Tasks will include:
- cell culture and maintenance of mammalian (human) primary and immortalized cells
- molecular biology techniques (PCR, Western Blots, immunohistochemistry, viral transduction)
- development of iPSC-based differentiation protocols (mesoderm lineages, endothelial cells, vascular smooth muscle cells, and cardiomyocytes)
- help with development of 3D-based assays
- overseeing day to day operations, general organization of the laboratory such as administration of several databases (plasmids, antibodies, cell lines, chemical inventory, etc)
- maintaining supplies (preparing and ordering reagents), servicing equipment (or contacting repair), developing new protocols and training new laboratory members
- routine (confocal) imaging of 3D samples
- cell sorting experiments and sample preparation
- the successful candidate will be encouraged to carry out their own research project within available capacity
The successful candidate must have:
- a Bachelors or Masters degree in biology or related life science field
- two or more years of experience with cell/tissue culture techniques
- background in basic molecular biology techniques (WB, PCR, ICC/ICH, FACS)
- experience with iPSC and/or vascular biology research is ideal
- basic imaging abilities
- openness to learn new techniques and work independently
- strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills to interact with internal/external contacts in a friendly and professional manner
- strong organizational skills and be reliable
- fluency in English and Spanish (Catalan would be a bonus)
The successful candidate will be expected to take over routine processes over time. Necessary skills (related to 3D tissue culture) will be taught and the candidate is expected to be proactive towards learning new techniques.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family. EMBL Barcelona is established in the Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB), one of the largest infrastructures in Southern Europe dedicated to translational research, where researchers will benefit from a collaboration with other pioneering research institutes.
What else do I need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1800 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Our mission is to offer vital services in training scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.