The HHMI CryoEM Shared Resource at Janelia Research Campus is a world class shared cryoEM facility with a large and diverse user base. It serves the entire HHMI community for cutting-edge research in structural biology. The main function of the facility is 1) high-throughput high quality data collection on user-provided ready-to-image cryo grids and 2) collaborating with labs that provide solution samples to cover the entire cryoEM workflow from sample calibration, cryo grid preparation and screening, all the way to high resolution 3D electron density map generation. The facility is undergoing an exciting expansion phase and is now seeking candidates to fill a Research Technician position.
- Carry out certain routine tasks such as pre-loading cryo grids, replacing liquid nitrogen tanks, cryocycle microscopes and screening samples so that staff scientists can focus on high level tasks.
- Properly handle various samples upon receiving, manage storage of samples and return sample shippers to users
- Learn to operate and maintain equipment starting from sample preparation equipment and screening microscopes to gradually moving into high end microscopes; learn to carry out certain experiments such as making both negative stained and cryo grids, imaging them on a screening scope and learning to set up routine automated data collection; learn to carry out routine data processing
- Help maintain and transfer data
- Interact with users and provide support and help when needed
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in a science field
- Good hands on skills and attention to details
- Motivated to gain new knowledge and skills
- Good team player, enjoying an open, collaborative and mutually respecting team environment
- Good communication skills
- Should enjoy interacting with peers and users
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer