Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a science philanthropy whose mission is to advance biomedical research and science education for the benefit of humanity. We empower exceptional scientists and students to pursue fundamental questions about living systems, and work to share scientific discoveries with researchers, students, and science-curious individuals around the world.
Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S. Visit hhmi.org/careers to learn more about working at HHMI.
Janelia Research Campus is a pioneering research center in Ashburn, Virginia, where scientists pursue fundamental questions in neuroscience and imaging. The Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) launched Janelia in 2006, establishing an intellectually distinctive environment for scientists to do creative, collaborative, hands-on work. To learn more about working at Janelia, visit janelia.org/careers.
Reporting to the Director of Cell and Molecular Biology Shared Resources the Research Technician is responsible for providing skilled support for a broad range of services relevant to cell and molecular biology. These services will include passaging cell lines, performing transfections and developing stable cell lines. Included in this position are additional requirements for isolation of primary neurons and establishing primary cultures from model organisms and source tissues. Critical to this position is a “customer centric” attitude and the ability to work closely with Janelia group leaders, fellows, project scientists, visitors and staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintaining cell lines and perform transfections
- Preparation of primary neurons
- Establishing primary cultures from model organism and source tissues
- Producing stable cell lines
- Isolation of DNA and RNA from cells and tissue
- Configure, operate and maintain specialized equipment
- Troubleshoot procedures and assist in implementing modifications to research protocols
- Prepare and present written and oral progress reports concerning studies; assist with the assembly, organization and interpretation of results
- Train others in the proper use of laboratory equipment and technical procedures
- Assist scientists with access and use of the shared resource
- Performs assigned research tasks ranging from routine to complex procedures related to cell and molecular biology; may be asked to develop new technologies or adopt protocols from other labs
- Works independently and manages multiple aspects of research projects. Plays a critical and central role in the success of this shared resource
- BS or higher in a biological discipline
- 3 or more years maintaining cell cultures and developing stable cell lines
- Proven skill in with primary cell culture and developing primary cell lines from model organisms
- Demonstrated experience in transfection of plasmid DNA
- Prior or current experience with stem cells is beneficial
Skills and Abilities:
- Candidate should be familiar with MS Office tools such as Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Attention to detail and maintaining accurate lab notebook
- Ability to balance multiple requests and assignments
- A customer service mindset that includes strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team effort and as an individual contributor
- A willingness to learn new techniques and procedures
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.