Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is an independent, ever-evolving philanthropy that supports basic biomedical scientists and educators with the potential for transformative impact. We make long-term investments in people, not just projects, because we believe in the power of individuals to make breakthroughs over time. HHMI scientists have radically advanced the understanding of cells, the brain, the immune system, the development of organs, and how to treat many diseases. Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S.
At HHMI, you are not just an employee – you are a part of a creative and talented team with colleagues whose expertise ranges from biomedical research to investment management, from information technology to law. We encourage collaborative and results-driven working styles and offer an adaptable environment where employees can function at their highest level. As HHMI scientists continue to push boundaries in laboratories and classrooms, you can be sure that your contributions while working at HHMI are making a difference.
We currently are looking for a Research Technician to support the lab of Dr. Susan Ackerman at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) in San Diego, CA. The Ackerman Lab’s research centers on studying the mechanisms of neurological disease in mouse models. The lab works to identify and analyze the genes, pathways, and networks involved in the maintenance of neuronal homeostasis and age-related death of neurons in the central nervous system. More information about Dr. Ackerman and the lab can be found here: https://www.hhmi.org/scientists/susan-l-ackerman
The ideal candidate is a highly motivated, organized, detail-oriented individual who thrives in a fast-paced environment and will (initially with supervision, then independently) maintain a large number of inbred, knockout, transgenic, and congenic mouse strains including genotyping. The incumbent will perform complex genetic mouse crosses and analyze offspring by histological, behavioral, and molecular techniques. The incumbent will also assist with general mouse room and lab organization procedures.
- Collect, record, organize and verify accuracy of data.
- Keep highly organized laboratory records and use databases to assemble, manipulate and/or format data.
- Order chemicals, reagents, and other laboratory supplies as needed.
- Organize projects within workload to ensure goals are met.
- Participate in laboratory meetings and planning sessions.
- Read literature applicable to research areas as required.
- Meet routinely with supervisor.
- Perform the duties of a Laboratory Assistant as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology or related field is required.
- Strong interest in neuroscience and/or genetics.
- At least 1-2 years of relevant laboratory experience is preferred.
- Animal husbandry experience is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Good understanding of scientific principles underlying job duties.
- Skilled in laboratory techniques and methods.
- Ability and comfort with handling live mice.
- Ability and willingness to learn new techniques.
- Ability to train others in specialized tasks within their own area of expertise.
- Ability to be a team player with strong communication skills.
- Ability to work efficiently, be flexible, and be self-motivated.
- Ability to draft routine reports and keep accurate records.
- Ability to learn complex tasks with general instructions.
- Ability to use experience to perform a variety of new techniques.
- Actively seeks opportunities to increase skills and expertise.
- Occasionally lifts and/or carries objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Occasionally stoops and bends.
- Occasionally reaches and grasps with arms and hands.
- Work involves possible exposure to malodorous vapors, low dose radiation, and possible contamination by toxic chemicals and acids and presence of carcinogenic substances.
- Long periods of standing and/or sitting.
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.