The Max Planck Institute of Microstructure Physics, Halle, Germany, Department of Nanophotonics, Integration, and Neural Technology (NINT), Director Prof. Joyce Poon, is recruiting one Research Staff Member or Postdoctoral Fellow for optical design and microscopy. Our new Department is initiating research programs on devices and microsystems for future computing and brain activity mapping technologies. We are launching a program to develop miniaturized two photon microscopes and implantable neurophotonic probe systems for imaging and optical stimulation of brain tissue and neural cell cultures.
- Collaborate with the team to develop miniaturized two photon microscopes and neurophotonic probes
- Design and characterize optical systems, custom lenses, and optical components
- Design and build optical measurement setups and microscopes for characterizing and benchmarking miniaturized microscopes and neurophotonic probes
- Assist in establishing the photonics and imaging labs in the NINT Department
- You have a degree (Diploma, Master, or Ph.D.) in physics, electrical engineering, or a related discipline
- You are motivated by grand challenges
- You have a demonstrated track-record in optical design, microscopy and imaging systems, including using industry standard simulation tools (e.g., Zemax, Code V), and building/using 2-photon microscopes
- You are experienced in optical laboratory measurements, free-space optical alignments, and fiber optics
- You are a fast learner and excited to learn about other disciplines
- You are an effective team player that excels in a fast-paced, highly dynamic, interdisciplinary and international environment
- You have excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- The opportunity to work at the forefront of scientific research with an incredible team of highly motivated and smart people
- Remuneration and social benefits according to TVöD
- Fixed-term contract initially for 2 years, with the potential of extension
- Expected start date: January 2020; negotiable
Please send your CV with the names of two references as a single pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing MPI-Halle-OD. The position will remain open until closed.
The Max Planck Society aims to employ more persons with disabilities and increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented; thus, applications from persons with disabilities and women are encouraged.